Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Wild garlic

I have never noticed much in the way of wild garlic in my garden until this year and suddenly it is everywhere!

In the beds, in the lawn, all over. I've been digging up the bulbs as fast as I can but how do I get rid of it in the lawn without destroying the grass?

• Are we talking about Ramsons (broad leaves) or Allium triquetrum (more like chives)?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Allium Triquuetrum, it looks very much like chives.

• I'd just keep mowing the lawn - it won't get rid of it but it'll keep it under control - lovely oniony smell while you're mowing of course.  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• image  How will mowing spread them?  True the bulbs will multiply as with most bulbs, but if the tops are mowed thus preventing seed development then the seeds won't spread, and continual repeated mowing stopping the leaves from growing to any size will weaken the bulbs.

It worked for Ma - they stayed there, but they didn't get any worse.  image

• Spray a glyphosphate weed killer such as roundup on any clumps of the wild garlic being careful to avoid the grass, so aim to spray only the top parts of the wild garlic, any that runs down will only go into the soil. 

In any case if the clumps are dense they're gonna displace the grass around them anyway. So afterwards when the garlic is killed just remove it and cover with compost and lawn seed image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It's just grassy stuff with an oniony smell. I wouldn't worry about it

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

It's the unsightly straggly "fronds" they send my lawn OCD into overdrive!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Ah, There's the difference. I like the extras in my grass. Keep mowing them off and don't let any more seed. Without leaves they'll die eventually

In the sticks near Peterborough