London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
7 messages
31/07/2013 at 13:56

I am engaged in a long-running, frustrating and (so far) unsuccessful war with one or more moles in my garden. I have had no success with the traps that I deploy but will persevere. Until a few days ago, the location of molehills and collapsed tunnels has been bearable. Then, a molehill appeared in one of the raised beds of my vegetable garden. Unbidden, the phrase 'That's the FINAL straw!' came to my lips.

Would chicken wire (or something similar) laid 12" under the final soil surface stop the little blighters? I would probably run it up the lower inside face of the frame and staple it to the timber. What size mesh would be required?

Or, alternatively, should I just get a life?

31/07/2013 at 14:09

Moles don't have very good teeth, they only have strong front claws. If you were to line the inside of your raised beds, bottom and sides, with chicken wire there isn't a mole on earth that could get into your raised beds. Unless they have mole cutters!

31/07/2013 at 14:12

That should of course have been mole grips - rather spoiled the punchline.

31/07/2013 at 14:34

Thanks, waterbutts. Don't worry, my inability to remember a punchline has become a standing joke in my family.

31/07/2013 at 16:34

sorry don't know the answer to getting rid of these little critters, but would love to know how to stop them digging up the soakaways from our septic tank, it gets very expensive having to have them dug up, re-lined and re filled only to find all the gravel back on top where they've dug it up!  My husband says he hopes they get septiceamia (sorry about the spelling)

31/07/2013 at 17:35

Hi Jayne5. I have been using tunnel traps sporadically for some time, with no success. I have been doing some research over the last few days and came across the following website

www.beagleproducts.com

which looks very interesting. The site has a lot of information about the creatures themselves, the types of equipment available, common myths and a mole catching guide. The mole trap that they sell is aimed specifically at the non-expert homeowner and does look easy to use. I may try one and will report back here with my findings.

31/07/2013 at 19:16

Sounds interesting, will have a look at site, look forward to hearing how you get on, good luck!

email image
7 messages