London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
6 messages
11/05/2013 at 17:46

I was over at the allotment today, and whilst covering the first leaves of the potato crop (Maris Bard) I came across a large red ant colony.

It's our first year on the allotment and we're trying to learn fast! Will these ants damage the crop? If so,what can we do?!

Thanks in advance of any advice!

11/05/2013 at 17:57

Ants don't eat plants so they won't damage your potatoes, they eat aphids so can be a good thing to have around.

11/05/2013 at 22:12

My garden is full of red ants i wish i could get rid of them, ive bought ant traps but they dont even go in them, anybody got any suggestions, i got bitten last year it stung for 3 days nasty.

12/05/2013 at 08:36

Ants like to be left alone, so as you keep earthing your potatoes up you'll disturb them and they'll move elsewhere - they also prefer dry soil so a little judicious watering will make them think about moving on.

Enjoy your allotment 

12/05/2013 at 11:28

I always get ants in my dalek composters, I guess the heat helps them raise their brood, they improve the air circulation so aid the composting, I always feel a little guilty when I water or turn the compost!.

12/05/2013 at 13:58

Thanks everybody for your help and advice! I'm sure I'll need more in the future as we get to know the allotment, but for now I'll just keep earthing the potatoes and hope the ants move on!

email image
6 messages