London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 11°C
12 messages
08/06/2013 at 13:46

Just noticed several of my cauliflower plants are not putting on growth and have wilted. There is no evidence of pest attack and they are  as they are well netted and they are.not lacking water Any clues anyone?

08/06/2013 at 14:40

I wonder if it might be vine weevil grubs nibbling at the roots. Could you dig one up and see if there are any c shaped creamy maggot things with dark heads in the soil?

08/06/2013 at 14:57

It could be cabbage root fly - same advice as figrat - dig one up and inspect the roots and surrounding soil.

09/06/2013 at 15:17

dug up the wilted plants and found little or no roots left but no evidence of maggots or such like- will revert to my foolproof erecting of KEEP OF WEEVILS signs. I will persevere with organic veg growing bur cauliflowers do seem to have the whole world trying to eat them before me.

09/06/2013 at 15:28

Oh how disappointing. I don't know much about carrot root fly, vine weevil grubs are pretty obvious, but something's obviously chomping away. Maybe a brassica expert will pitch in.

09/06/2013 at 15:59

Caulies are the hardest brassica to grow well in my experience, too.  You definitely have a root-eating pest of some kind.  I would try growing them to a larger size before planting out, then plant them deep - right up to the first leaves - maybe even an inch deeper.  Also make sure you firm the soil really well after planting, then place a collar around the stem (see RHS link below.)

Most pests like acidic conditions so next Winter it might also be worth liming the area where you will be growing them.

RHS advice on cabbage root fly:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=646

09/06/2013 at 16:09

I had a collar around them to stop cabbage root fly but that was just harboring three small slugs? Last time the cabbage white desimated the whole crop. They sure present a few challenges thats why I've stayed away from brasicas for that reason.

09/06/2013 at 17:21

if you put collars on . o.k. check next[god forbid] for club root disease.i hope not because you have it for ever.i/m an expert on it .i,ve been battling it for years and losing. good luck.

09/06/2013 at 17:56

What was the root system like before you put them in ? Did you grow them in modules/cells or were they grown in situ.

10/06/2013 at 11:31

they were grown in modules and the root system was healthy before planting.

10/06/2013 at 11:53

You say you dug out a wilting specimen and it's roots had almost gone. The problem must lie there then. Perhaps it was the cabbage root fly - when fully fed, they turn brown and enter the pupal stage.

Do you have any healthy ones - I'd sacrifice one which is nearby and check it's roots.

Or, should I say it's off-spring.

11/06/2013 at 11:28

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25243.jpg?width=265&height=350&mode=max

Her are three very fat magots a just dug up from under a wilted caulifower with all it roots gone. As I want to be organic have I just got to accept half will be devoured or what do you recomend as they had been fitted with collars since planting?

email image
12 messages