London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
6 messages
02/03/2013 at 10:58

Hi everyone firstly no rants about slugs in this post) I bought some plugs of geraniums about ten days ago and potted them on into 3" pots. I used seed compost No.2 with a mix of vermiculite in it. The lower leaves turned yellow about four days ago and now this morning most have shrivelled up and turned brown...the top of the plants look green and healthy but lower leaves have gone and died on me:/ what have I done wrong??? It's all 20 of the plugs not just a few.........the geranium seeds I've raised myself are great..healthy, a bit smaller than the shop bought ones but alive any idea what I've done to them? (they're in a light position all day in my lounge in front of patio doors). 

02/03/2013 at 11:22

I guess these are bedding geraniums-pelargoniums??-might just be too wet -or a reaction to the sudden change-remove the dead leaves-do not water-they prefer it on the dry side- keep them in a warm spot-with a bit of luck they will be fine

If they don't survive -contact the supplier-most will replace

02/03/2013 at 11:32

Me and my over-watering thanks Geoff and will do..they're bedding geraniums, scarlet colour...beautiful if I manage to keep them alive

02/03/2013 at 18:06

Must agree - sound like a case of overkindness - more plants die of overwatering than any other cause,  Let them drain, if the top of the compost is wet, maybe add some dry or a layer of fine grit - and put the watering can away.  They really do like dry conditions, treat 'em hard and they'll flourish for you. 

02/03/2013 at 18:26

I re-potted all mine 2 weeks ago and stiil haven't watered them. Think the water holds in new compost and also as Bookertoo says they do like to be kept on the dry side.

Will be giving all mine a dose of salts in a couple of weeks time. Epsoms that is.  Does wonders for leaf colouration and healthy plants.

02/03/2013 at 19:10

Have re-potted them today...an inch of grit at the bottom of each pot and no water, just damp compost with a bit of vermiculite mixed in it.  Thanks for all your advice

email image
6 messages