London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
17/03/2013 at 17:54

I bought 4 potted violas from my local garden centre in late autumn and they have flowered all winter and given me much pleasure. I kept them in their original pots and put them on the patio. They are now looking rather sad. They are still flowering but have dark spots on lots of the leaves and are looking a bit straggly. Is there anything I can do to save them and enjoy them again next winter?

17/03/2013 at 17:58

Hmm. You might consider leaving some of the flowers to form seed pods, and propagate some more from those. Generally, the tendency is to ditch them once they've done their stuff - and if you have a compost bin, remember they'll come back into the garden, albeit in a different form.

17/03/2013 at 18:02

They are basically an annual-sounds as though they have done their bit quite well-keep dead-heading them to prolong flowering but not worth tryng to keep them for a second season-compost and start again

17/03/2013 at 18:14

Thanks for your replies. I thought at £5 per plant I was buying perennials!

17/03/2013 at 18:22

£5 each!!!---these are not are not violas-unless they are gold plated-or the pots are

17/03/2013 at 18:25

b&Q normally expensive is selling 20 for £5. There easy to grow from seed infact my garden has self sown seedlings sprouting at the minute. Supermarkets selling seeds for 70p etc

17/03/2013 at 18:26

Paid £1.40- for 20- two weeks ago

17/03/2013 at 18:28

where was that, that is cheap, im growing my own but for £1.40 for 20 whats the point

17/03/2013 at 18:31

B and Q-they were priced at £2.80- at the till came up as £1.40-now in baskets

17/03/2013 at 18:33

ill will be popping down to have a look!

18/03/2013 at 07:40

I also treat these as annuals.    Mine, planted last October, have been flowering ever since, through rain, snow and frost.     They are still going strong,in pots, underplanted with spring bulbs which are all coming through now.    The two flowering together will look great.     I much prefer the little violas to the winter pansies.   I expect mine to last at least until May when I change the pots to summer flowering plants, then they go in the compost bin.

18/03/2013 at 07:44
I often buy violas cheaply in supermarket, cut back flowers and pot on. They then flower soon afterwards. Mid summer and I cut,back,again,and split and pot up. As good as new
19/03/2013 at 09:16

thanks for your replies. gardengirl16 sounds like you have the same violas as me. oh well looks like i have had my moneys worth as mine too have flowered through wind rain and snow.

19/03/2013 at 09:32
I grow violas every year, and if left they will still produce the odd flower after season. I never deadhead mine, some of the seed pods burst and new plants spring up here and there but I mostly collect the seeds, dry them and replant them when its the right time of year. I just did all my summer violas yesterday. I can keep the same plants going this way year upon year, and I can single out the odd hybrid/cross pollenation in the process.

They really are one of the most hardy plants ive ever grown.
08/06/2013 at 12:19

I planted a small border of winter flowering violas last autumn and although the plants were small they flowered all winter, even through heavy snow.  Once the weather started to warm, the plants filled out and now I have a dense border of colour and they are still going strong.   You can see them on my own website called Gardeners Word.  The violas have such a lovely perfume when they are grown together like this.  But I wonder if it is a fluke that they have done so well.   They get a fair amount of sun (when there is sun!) and shade throughout the morning. 

http://gardeners-word.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/the-perfumed-garden.html.

08/06/2013 at 13:15

do you mean violas or winter flowering pansy

08/06/2013 at 14:01

When I bought them they were labelled winter flowering violas and they have smaller flowers than I one usually sees on pansies, so I mean violas. 

08/06/2013 at 14:31

i have just bought some victorian violas from holker garden festival they are summer flowering but the advice i was given may be of some use 

1. plant in John Innes no2

after flowering all summer they need to rest so cut back hard and top up with new compost, so if yours have flowered all winter untill now i would cut them back,repot if they look congested and give them a feed. you may be able to split them im not sure about that.

violas are not annuals like the bedding pansy they should last for a long time if looked after

08/06/2013 at 15:38

My violas have stayed in bloom much later than usual this year - I've put it down to the cool weather - as soon as we started getting strong sunshine last week the violas began to look tired - they're in pots on the terrace, so I'm going to take them out of the pots tomorrow and pot them on individually in John Innes No 2 and keep them in a cool corner until autumn, then hopefully they'll have perked up again ready for next winter.  Fingers crossed 

-
08/06/2013 at 19:06

Breathtaking violas, Valerie. If I could, I´d plant an acre of Violas of

all kinds. Has anybody ever seen (live) the rosulate Violas?

1 to 20 of 21 messages