Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Wisteria still dormant in june!!!!!!!

Hello , I have a flowering Wisteria over an arch in my garden. I have had it maybe 7 years and has flowered lovely each year. But this year it is just still dormant...... and its now 17th JUNE...... Ive had a close look at it and on top of the arch there was some dead wood that just snapped and looked dead, So Ive cut all that back ...........Up the side of the arch Ive scratched the wood and it is green and bends ....... there are little bud growths on it as you can see in the picture below .................. Do you think it is still going to flower or just leaf this year..................Do you think it will even do any thing this year ...............Why has this happened ..............? image  Thank you for any reply..............

..................Do you think it will even do any thing this year ...............Why has this happened ..............? image 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

RIP  Give it a decent burial.

I can't see it leafing up now. Wisterias were late this year, and mine only had one flower. I put that down to the late spring and the lack of flowers down to poor summer last year.

• NCFCcrazyNCFCcrazy Posts: 8

Have you checked the root system?  I have a very similar problem with my Sambucus Sutherland Gold, it had plenty of healthy looking buds but by mid May they hadnt opened.  I was considering replacing it anyway, so dug it up to find all the roots had rotted, presumably caused by the long damp winter.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Also if its grafted the graft could have failed. I had that happen on a large grafted daphne when it got to about 6ft tall and was about 7 years old.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

It's been a hard winter and spring for many wisteria.  Mine has only just come into leaf and has skipped the flowering stage.  A friend has one that's been frozen almost back to its base.  Give it to the end of June to see if anything happens then cut it back to the new shoots or dig it out if there are none.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato