London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
17 messages
25/04/2012 at 14:31
25/04/2012 at 15:40

Mysteria! 

25/04/2012 at 15:46

This seems to be a problem with this site-under the topic on the latest post page it says" buds are brown" yet that does not appear on the opening message

One for the tecchy guys methinks

25/04/2012 at 16:14

Hello sotongeoff. This is probably because the "buds are brown" text was input into the 'Description' field of the new thread, and not the main editing box.

Reply to John Reynolds: if you did type any further text into your message, that didn't appear, do please let me know, and I can help you repost, if necessary.

Many thanks,

Daniel
Editor, gardenersworld.com

25/04/2012 at 16:30

Sorry Daniel to return on this -why doesn't the description field bit appear on the page?-would that be possible?

25/04/2012 at 16:39

Hello sotongeoff. Do you mean within the actual post itself? The description is intended an optional extra to allow posters to provide a brief summary of the content of their actual post. I think in most instances the content of the description would be covered within the post itself, so it wouldn't necessarily add anything to include it again. I hope I haven't misunderstood your question!

Daniel

25/04/2012 at 16:45

John must have thought that posting "buds are brown" would appear on this page as I did when I opened the garden gallery thread and put a comment in the description box-wisteria appears but not the problem.

So my question is- could it?-or does that mean you have to repeat the actual problem in the message box as seems to be the case.

25/04/2012 at 16:46

Incidentally, everyone, here are a couple of links to our wisteria content, which you might find useful:

Wisteria-related projects, features and blogs

Forum posts relating to wisteria

Daniel

25/04/2012 at 16:52

Reply to sotongeoff. Well, the Description field is very short, so doesn't allow for much detail, and only works as a summary; in most cases it would be necessary to go into more detail within the post, anyway. (Plus, if there isn't any text in the main body of the post, it looks like an error, and people are unlikely to respond.)

It would be interesting, though, to know what other forum users think - would you find it useful for the Description text to appear within the post, as well as on the list of threads? Do let us know.

If there is a consensus that it would be useful, then I can certainly ask if it would be possible!

Daniel
Editor, gardenersworld.com

25/04/2012 at 17:00

Thanks-I assume john has not yet looked back on his posting to elaborate on his problem.

In my opinion it would be useful but then that is just me

25/04/2012 at 17:01

Noted, sotongeoff.

25/04/2012 at 17:06

Hovering over the thread title opens a text box that gives the first 80 or so words of the message. I scan through the titles to get the gist of the question before opening the thread, and find it more useful than the short message description (which is not always filled in). Not sure whether making the description box bigger would encourage longer descriptions,  or whether it would be more useful to me than the 'hover' facility. 

25/04/2012 at 18:54
Message was wisteria buds are brown and falling off!
25/04/2012 at 19:04

Wisteria buds are sensitive to spring frosts. Because of the very cold winter I wonder if  they got damaged. Are leaves developing?

25/04/2012 at 19:05

Its probably because of this very cold icy windy weather of late, it feels like winter up here today. I've noticed many mature trees and shrubs suffering with brown leaves and buds, whilst out on my travels. Don't think theres alot one can do.

27/04/2012 at 13:25

I'm pretty sure its due more to the wet weather than the cold.   Mine is just otside and got very wet ... a few days later I noticed they wer all soggy and wet a few days after that they dropped off.

Next yaer I'm going to grow a clematis over the top to try and protect it from any rain !

Chris

27/04/2012 at 23:56
Thanks for replies, a good idea,maybe I'll do the same with a clematis. The joys of gardening!!!.
email image
17 messages