London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
8 messages
17/06/2013 at 10:27

Why has our Wisteria never flowered in the last ten years. It's huge now.???

It's situated at the front of our house growing over an arch. It's in the shade all morrning and sun all afternoon. There has never been any flower clusters forming.

17/06/2013 at 12:21

I have read of this before, though sadly I cannot tell you the answer.  I think it has something to do with if your plant was a cutting or seed grown - it appears that some just don't flower.  I think you have been patient enough - maybe send a clematis montana or a climbing rose up it - but that would be very heavy with the wisteria as well.It may be time to grit you teeth and get it out, replacing it with a wisteria you see in flower before you buy it - whatever you do, good luck. 

17/06/2013 at 12:24

Do you prune it twice ayear.? Cut all  new shoots back by half in August and then back to two buds in January or Feb.. It sounds like it is just making lots of new growth. Without drastic pruning each year you are unlikely to get flowers.

If you search the RHS website they have a video showing how to prune wisteria.

17/06/2013 at 13:39

Ours did flower the first year but only with a handful of blooms. We cut it back twice a year and now it's covered flower. If you do regularly cut it back already (you have to go quite mad & cut it right back- twice) and still there's no flowers, I think it might be time to take it out.

18/06/2013 at 19:58

I feed my wisteria from November to March once a month with liquid tomato feed. Then every fortnight from March till flowering. I follow the same pruning as fidgetbones. My wisteria is flowering now and it's 4/5 years old. 

I highly recommend feeding any plants with which have long or dramatic flowering periods with liquid tomato feed prior and during the flowering period. 

eg. Clematis (group 2), Wisteria, Canna, Passiflora

Another fully organic method is to cut up banana skins into small chunks and dig them into the surrounding soil. They decompose quickly and release potassium into the soil.

19/06/2013 at 08:45

Thank for all the insight, I think I'll attack the triffid tomorrow with your sugestions. If nothing works at least it's still green and growing strong.

19/06/2013 at 09:28

I had a similar problem with the wisterias which grow on the front of my house.  They were very well-established when I bought the property but - like yours - didn't produce any flowers.  I think I discovered the reason for this, which seemed to be the fact that they were planted in such a way that their roots grew beneath a concrete path which ran along the front of the property.  Before the path was eventually taken away - and a border established - I made sure that I watered them well during the autumn, by pouring literally buckets-full of water into the planting hole which they sat in, which was surrounded by concrete then.  Ever since the path was removed (many years ago now) the wisterias have flowered profusely - it looks a purple waterfall all along the front & side of the house at the moment!  I don't know which variety of wisteria they are, but both produce the longest racemes I've ever seen - well over 12" long.  I prune the unwanted new shoots during the summer months and do a general "tidy-up" sort of pruning in February/March, depending a bit on the weather - but before the buds show any sign of new growth.

So - before you do anything too drastic ref pruning, I'd suggest that you consider whether or not your plant could be short of water.  Seems simple enough, but when you consider that any plant which is sited close to a wall is likely to suffer from this.  Feeding usually produces more leaf than flower, though some plant food is often necessary because the soil near a house wall is often poor in quality.  I don't know the real reason why copious amounts of water in the autumn seemed to work for me - but it did!

19/06/2013 at 10:26

Just to clarify, liquid tomato feed is high in potassium with encourages fruit and flower production. It's has average to low amounts of nitrogen, which encourages leafy growth. Wisteria's grow fast enough anyway so avoid and general feed or seaweed extract. 

Also use tomato feed that has magnesium in it, as heavy use of a tomato feeds without magnesium will encourage plant to absorb potassium instead of magnesium.

email image
8 messages