Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Witch hazel is it meant to look like this??

Hi, I planted a witch hazel out a month or so ago and the leaves aren't looking very healthy, has anyone got any ideas what could be causing it? 

Last edited: 02 June 2016 09:23:13

• cornellycornelly Posts: 970

What is the soil it is planted in like, ie dry, wet, clay, we have had a plant for many years in fairly moist soil, good loam, and has done very well, not against a fence, what is the other side of the fence.

• It's quite sandy but seems fairly wet, it is mulched with some bark chips, it's about half a metre from the fence. I did wonder if it hadn't had enough water as the leaves seem dry and slightly curled.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,491

I understand that witchhazel droops its leaves vertically when it is short of water (which is what mine does very often) so I would give it a good canful of water and monitor it for a day or two and see if it picks up. If the leaves then hang horizontally you will know it was a water shortage. If it's sandy soil, that means it drains very quickly so I would add some leaf mould or some ericaceous compost around it unless you've already got acid soil.

North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone