London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
10 messages
27/01/2014 at 13:16

I have a Hamamelis Pallida Witch Hazel that I bought this time last year, in full flower.  After it flowered I potted it up to a large wide and deep pot and watered it well over the summer. This winter, very few flowers have formed - 3 are out at present.  It gets sun in the summer but not at all from late autumn over winter as my garden is in shade then. Any advice?

27/01/2014 at 16:13

It may be a bit early yet,mine has not flowered and does not till about end of feb.

28/01/2014 at 00:00

The trouble is most of the winter/early Spring plants are raised for sale in poly-tunnels, or under other shelter.  Sometimes they take a year or so to get over the shock of being in the big wide world and having been forced for sale it may flower a bit later, as flowering rose suggests.

28/01/2014 at 09:21

My pallida Mollis is in full flower ..has been for a while now.

I think your plant is just settling down ...new position, situation, etc.  

Mine is in full sun buf partial shade is better I think.

Did you prune it at all flowernotes?  

What sort of compost now?  John innes ericaceous is preferable.  And I would add some dried manure too.

29/01/2014 at 13:44

Ours has been established for several years but it is only just beginning to show flowers now, quite a bit later than other years. Several other things are also very behind - our snowdrops and viburnum have hardly shown any flowers at all yet. I think it's to do with the relatively mild but very wet conditions, and I'm sure your witch hazel will come good in the end.

29/01/2014 at 15:24

Thanks everyone!

There have been three flowers that are fully out, and infact already going over, and I can see a few others on the stems that may come through, but many buds look as if they will go straight to leaf (as Daphne's sometimes do). 

Verdun - No - haven't pruned!  Bought it last year, so can concur with it being polytunnelled into the world!

I can't remember if I used ericaceous or not, so that may well be a contributing factor!

29/01/2014 at 16:45

It's just better in ericaceous.  Not too alkaline, that's for sure 

31/01/2014 at 13:24

Shrubs and trees planted in one year use the following growing season for establishing and expanding their rootsystem. So, it seems perfectly normal to me that your Witch Hazel produces less or no flowers this year. Another thing to bear in mind is that Hamamelis is a bit of a slow starter. It can take a year or two before it will be flowering in abundance.

If you planted it in a multi-purpose compost that will be fine for now, and you can always put a layer of ericacious compost on top the soil as a mulch. It needs an acid to neutral, well-drained soil.  

If you can, plant it out in your garden. It will perform so much better then. When planted in full sun the soil needs to be moist (not wet!)

31/01/2014 at 13:31

I'd agree about getting it planted out rather than in a pot.  It'll appreciate a bit more room to give it's best, and a little shade is better if possible.

Conditions this year have meant that lots of plants are behaving slightly differently as well, so don't worry too much. 

31/01/2014 at 14:43

If you live in the country, watch out for deer. They have chomped most of the flowering shoots on mine. Only 2 high branches have opening flowers. I'm hoping it will recover as if it had been pruned intentionally!

Agree that flowernotes' plant should be planted in the ground if at all possible, and that they take quite a few years to establish. Mine grows only a few inches a year and it's in slightly acid soil and part shade.

email image
10 messages