London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
13 messages
10/08/2014 at 09:12

Wolf Spiders.

Can anyone advise me.  Have overgrown garden which I am trying to clear of brambles , ivy and other weeds.  Am swarmed by these spiders (thousands) which bite and I am allergic to and ended up I A & E.  What can I do???  Any ideas please.

10/08/2014 at 09:18

If you're allergic to these spiders, and there really are as many as you say then I think you're only solution is to get someone else to clear the garden - either some good friends who are quite hardy and aren't allergic, or a garden maintenance person - there'll be some advertising in your local free-papers etc.  Or some of your neighbours may know of someone local.

I wouldn't advise you to employ anyone who just knocks on the door and doesn't have checkable references. 

Get a firm price of what they're going to do and what they will charge you before they start, and take before and after photos, just in case of any disputes to be on the safe side. 

10/08/2014 at 09:19

I'd wait til winter when you can wear more protective clothing and cold bloodied creatures are less active

10/08/2014 at 09:23
Hi Shellsglam , sorry to hear youve been bitten that must be horrible! The spidders are really good for the garden, i imagine you would never completely get rid of them, sorry.

However once its cleared, i think they will have less places to lurk and will keep out of the way, is there anyone who could help you clear the garden or can you get any protective clothing? If you live anywhere near Wolverhampton, i would be happy to lend a hand

Im not a chemical user but it might be something to think about to get the garden cleared quickly
10/08/2014 at 09:52

Thank you. Yes there really are thousands in a garden of about 100 feet long. Thanks for offer of help but I am in Kent,  but offer really appreciated.  What chemicals would you suggest.  I don't want to get rid of all of them but to reduce the population somewhat would be good as the ground is literally swarmed by them.  I do not have anyone who could help, so will have to consider a garden clearance solution.

10/08/2014 at 09:58
Shell, how have you been clearing the garden? I wonder if there are any tools that we could recomend, im a big fan of a swan necked hoe as it keeps a fair distance between you and the ground/ critters.

Your safety is the most important thing, Nut is right, almost everything is less active in winter so it probably is best to wait.

The chemicals are for the brambles etc which in turn should reduce the area for the spiders, one of the others will have to advise as ive never used them sorry
10/08/2014 at 10:32

Thank you. I have been using a garden digging fork as the ground is full of very large and long roots.  The garden has been very neglected  for years it seems, and is full of large ivy and   brambles with roots that seen to run for miles and are as large as my arm. 

I have managed to clear the length of about 5 garden fence posts with another 12 to go ( and that's just one side) and the area at the end is at present a forest of bindweed, ivy and bramble. I do keep raking this off as much as I can to try and keep it down a bit.

I have sprayed the brambles and other weeds about six weeks ago and again last week and they appear to be thriving. I used a liquid spray which was recommended by garden centre.

10/08/2014 at 10:40
Its sounds like you have done loads! It must be so frustrating to get to this point. Im just wondering if spraying with a hose pipe as you are working might help, most spiders dont like water so will hide, id be tempted to take a hedge trimmer or one of those powerful strimmers that you can hire, take the growth down as much as you can, then try digging it over with hose at the ready. It will be messy and heavy work, but will be worth it, it sounds like you have a really good sized garden

I know this is obvious, but trrousers tucked in socks and gauntlets are your friends, not too attractive and tje neighbours will think you are mad
10/08/2014 at 11:05
bekkie hughes wrote (see)
Its sounds like you have done loads! It must be so frustrating to get to this point. Im just wondering if spraying with a hose pipe as you are working might help, most spiders dont like water so will hide, id be tempted to take a hedge trimmer or one of those powerful strimmers that you can hire, take the growth down as much as you can, then try digging it over with hose at the ready. It will be messy and heavy work, but will be worth it, it sounds like you have a really good sized garden

I know this is obvious, but trrousers tucked in socks and gauntlets are your friends, not too attractive and tje neighbours will think you are mad

I find it's always helpful to cultivate an aura of eccentricity - it keeps mischievous boys wondering! 

She might even be your lovely school-teacher who is reading these words to you at this very moment. Look carefully at that teacher. Perhaps she is smiling at the absurdity of such a suggestion. Don't let that put you off. It could be part of cleverness.

I am not, of course, telling you for one second that your teacher actually is a witch. All I am saying is that she might be one. It is most unlikely. But--here comes the big "but"--not impossible.” 
??? Roald DahlThe Witches

10/08/2014 at 11:18

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/55926.jpg?width=170&height=296&mode=max

One of these will do the job  

10/08/2014 at 11:21

yes please

10/08/2014 at 11:59
Was Dove just calling me a witch!???
10/08/2014 at 12:30

Just giving you the benefit of my vast experience 

email image
13 messages