London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
6 messages
09/02/2014 at 22:03
I have an indoor/outdoor cat. She uses a litter tray and I use to wood based cat litter that is a natural product. Can I use this for anything in the garden, I am also going to start composting. Could it be used in this.
09/02/2014 at 22:17

We add ours to the compost after first removing the poos.  It breaks down very well and helps to balance the nitrogen content from grass clippings.

09/02/2014 at 23:11

Its a funny thing, but it is unusual to use carnivore poo in the compost and garden.  Herbivore seems to be fine though.

10/02/2014 at 09:50

I would never use carnivore poo (or even the litter) in compost - carnivore poo contains a high level of pathogens and bacteria, most notably toxoplasmosis which can cause severe damage to the foetus in pregnancy - I have worked with children affected in this way.

Although I am well past the age where this would affect me personally, and I do try not to get too het up about neighbours' cats in my garden, I would never intentionally add this sort of dangerous contaminant to my compost. 

01/03/2014 at 12:07

Hi, I use a mix of wood shavings and wood pellets in my letter trays, if I remove the poop, can i put the wet litter  into my compost bin and would it be ok to use on a veg patch after maybe 18 months - 2 years

Edd
01/03/2014 at 12:31

As long as the pellets and shavings are not made from treated wood, then they should be fine after this period. You will probable find that they are totally composted by then.

email image
6 messages