London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
21 to 25 of 25 messages
31/07/2013 at 22:03

Good for mum! Way to go!

01/08/2013 at 06:38

The woodpigeons eat the leaves off our ash trees - when it comes to a choice between the ash trees and the veg patch, I'm perfectly happy for them to eat the ash tree leaves - they've got to eat something, poor things  and come to think of it, I've eaten plenty of woodpigeons in my time 

01/08/2013 at 10:32
Charlie November wrote (see)

Having the same thing here with a 25' ash tree. Feeding them will only encourage them. Personal recommendations: . . . . . . 

. . . . . Also, as a molecular biologist, I advise you to dispose of dead pigeons the way you would dispose of dog dirt, only using a larger bag.

This box won't let me type full width.

Charlie, having been forced to the conclusion that deterrent methods can be messier than the problem, I find myself thinking about trapping as one option and shooting as another.

Thanks very much for the shooting information, I shall read that carefully. I am an ex pistol shooter so skills are not the problem.

Do you know anything about trapping?

And re disposal, I don't have dogs, could you please be more specific? I suppose a dead pigeon dumped in a ditch or hedge bottom would soon disappear?

Is it worth getting out the recipe book? My vague recollection is that it's not worth the bother.

Mike

01/08/2013 at 12:38

I'm stunned by this. We have wood pidgeons in our garden and have adult fruit trees (apple and plum) and our pidgeons (well I don't personally own them!) don't go anywhere near. Hmmm suspicious now. Perhaps the fruit is bad so they don't want it. Or the leaves are laced with poison. Or maybe they just don't like either variety of fruit. Feeling very lucky now.

06/05/2014 at 08:04

We have had the same problem. Poor wee plum tree is being decimated by these big fat turkey sized wood  pigeons.!They are leaving the fruit, just munching on the leaves at the moment and snapping the tender branches.

So have dressed the tree out with cut plastic bags to make them look like tassels. They float about in the wind. Will keep you updated on the result.  Good luck

email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages