London (change)
Today 12°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
11 messages
12/06/2012 at 23:10
13/06/2012 at 06:51

Woodlice are not the culprit- they are the scavengers-it is more likely slug or bird damage in the first instance-you will need to take precautions against both.

13/06/2012 at 09:25

Yes, I agree completely with Geoff - woodlice are not the problem. They move in when something else has done the damage already.

14/06/2012 at 19:09

Last year blackbirds beat us to the strawberries so we have netted them - did it do the trick? No now the mice have moved in!!

05/05/2015 at 20:35

use sellotape on the stems of your strawberries and that will stop the buggers from climbing up the stems as they will slip off  before they eat your strawberries

05/05/2015 at 21:06

There is a fabric design called The Strawberry Thief, for good reason. It features blackbirds, they love soft fruit. 

05/05/2015 at 21:09

I've not tried it, but plan to this year.  Someone painted a bunch of small rocks to look like strawberries.. so the birds go down and 'pick' them, only to realized they were fooled.. so that by the time your real strawberries come the birds have given up.  I'll let you know if it works. 

Won't help you with the slugs unfortunately.  They're too stupid (or perhaps too clever?).

05/05/2015 at 21:17

ive had to build a high up strawberry planter this year as my dog ate all mine last year, probably my fault as i always give him the strawberry tops when preparing them, he loves peppers carrot peelings and any other fruit & veg going come to think of it 

06/05/2015 at 04:10

trust me it works ,it took me ages to work out what was eating my strawberries until I found a woodlice in 1 so soon as the straw berries are appearing I use packaging width tape just under the strawberries on the stem and it works a treat

06/05/2015 at 20:30

Blackbirds got most of our outside strawberries last year also our blueberries, cherries and currants but slugs are also a problem with strawberries. I planted some strawberries in large hanging baskets in the greenhouse and poly tunnel - that stopped the pests, also easy to pick! The previous year I planted strawberries in an old sheep trough stood on blocks in the poly tunnel - birds and slugs avoided unfortunately not mice!!

09/05/2015 at 16:18

i went out to check my strawberries last night and the area is crawling with wood lice, i looked it up and although they do mostly feed on rotting stuff it says they are also partial to strawberries and will eat them with no other help from slugs etc, i have also mulched my strawberry area with leaf mould so i am going to scrape that back as it is encouraging them to live there.

email image
11 messages