London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
11 messages
23/05/2014 at 15:35

I have covered my strawberries from the birds now that they are ripening. However, woodlice are taking a liking to them, even ones that are just turning pink and not fully ripened.  Was very disappointed when I went to harvest my first picking earlier this week, only to have to cut the nibbled bits out.

I know that they are definately woodlice as there were still some of them in situ!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

23/05/2014 at 15:55

What you have is a classic case of secondary attack. The fruit is nibbled by a mollusc (snail or slug) then the woodlice move in to the nice wet interior. Deal with the molluscs and the woodlice cannot easily damage the fruit. Their mouth parts are not strong enough to get through the skin.

23/05/2014 at 15:59

Doubt if it's woodlice they only feed on decaying material, more likely to be strawberry seed beetle, pop a jam jar into the ground, they'll fall in, you'll catch the woodlice too and keep the patch weed free.

23/05/2014 at 19:11

Woodlice are handy little creatures......as said above, they just clear up after the main culprits.

Move your woodlice to the compost heap and they will be happy there 

27/05/2014 at 09:07

Thanks All - Have put appropriate measures in place!

27/05/2014 at 18:15

I'm overrun with woodlice as the borders were filled with cheap wood chips by the landlord, but I've found them to be helpful. My strawberries are struggling, with maybe three berries thus far!

27/05/2014 at 18:19

As a child I used to collect woodlice and put them in my dolls house much to my parents horror.  I thought they were like little people (but I digress - sorry). 

27/05/2014 at 18:23

Forester2.........well of course they ARE little people...........just different little people to us..........I hope you ignored your parents and put them to bed properly snuggled up.....don't apologise........you made me laugh after a rubbish day

27/05/2014 at 18:24
Forester2 wrote (see)

As a child I used to collect woodlice and put them in my dolls house much to my parents horror.  I thought they were like little people (but I digress - sorry). 

Same! only I had a castle, with a cannon that shot plastic balls. I used to imprison the woodlice in the dungeon...

heh... Normal little girl I was not.

27/05/2014 at 18:26

Sweetpea............smack your wrist

28/05/2014 at 05:41

ive always called them cheesy bobs,  not sure why

email image
11 messages