London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
6 messages
20/10/2012 at 17:25

Yes it's me again, the longer I live here the more problems I find, now its hundreds of worm casts in the lawn also big clumps of mushrooms. HELP  what can I do. We can't avoid walking on the lawn to get to the borders, I have been using a besom on the worm casts  when they are dry enough or even trying to pick them up but the lawn looks a mess.

20/10/2012 at 17:31

A lot of lawns tend too look messy this time of year-I wouldn't worry -you are doing the right thing with the sweeping off.

20/10/2012 at 17:35

Thanks sotongeoff, any advice re the mushrooms apart from trying them with bacon  !!!!!!!!!!

20/10/2012 at 17:37

It is just the time of year again-they will soon disappear-carry on sweeping

Expect to get a health warning about the mushrooms

20/10/2012 at 17:43

That's not a problem; that's nature at work  A healthy lawn has lots of worms working away underground taking nutrients down into the soil and aerating the soil, helping to keep the roots healthy and at this time of year, when we have heavy rain the worms are working even harder. Sweeping them with a besom is the traditional way to deal with them. Raising the height that you cut the grass in the autumn means that the grass will hide them a bit better.

I'm afraid that we all  have to get used to the fact that a real lawn doesn't look like astroturf.

As for the mushrooms - they're another of Mother Nature's glorious products - you can either do what I do and enjoy their shortlived beauty and wonder at the great underground  network that makes up the rest of these amazing 'plants', or scoop them up and put them in the bin.

Unless they're Shaggy Ink Caps or one of the other easily identifiable edible ones, in which case I'll pop round and cook us up a meal of bacon, egg and mushrooms 

20/10/2012 at 17:52

Thanks for all the advice, my mushrooms are yellow ones, brown ones and white ones, non of them look like the supermarket variety, so I guess I will just enjoy looking at them as they are rather pretty.

email image
6 messages