London (change)
Today 8°C / 1°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
9 messages
06/06/2012 at 19:54

does anyone have any tips on preventing worm casts,which appear on my lawn about mid september and make an awful mess,ihave been told about stuff the greenkeepers use but it costs about £65,is there anything you could advise.

06/06/2012 at 22:06

You don't want to kill the worms in your lawn if you want healthy soil.

Best thing to do is brush the worm casts off regularly - they're only there for a short time.

06/06/2012 at 22:07

Worms help add nutrients to your soil and improve drainage - without them your lawn would be in a worse condition and you would have to work harder to maintain it.  If you don't like the look of the worm casts sweep over the lawn with a besom.  Why would anyone want to kill worms when they do so much good in the garden?

06/06/2012 at 23:42

Brushing them is best, but it can be easier said than done of your soil is at all 'sticky' especially if it's wet, it can just make a smeary mess. Best to just grin and bear it and wait till dry enough, you need them worms!

26/10/2012 at 12:43

I have seen a product called Castclear in the garden centres that deters the worms for up to 20 days.

12/12/2015 at 18:23

I have dreadful worm casts in my once beautiful lawn. Its completely ruined! Loads of sticky mud and bumps. I am fed up being told how good they are for the soil   and how just to brush them off  always imagining them to be nice and dry and crumbly! They are a horrible wet sticky goo  impossible to brush. I just wish the birds would come and eat them all up. But the birds never come Where have all the blackbirds gone. My old uncle, long gone, had a lawn which was the envy of the street , he kept the worms away with iron filings as advised by the greenkeeper of his bowling club. But I don't know where to get any. Exasperated!!

13/12/2015 at 16:09

I'm with jo47  I won't kill anything, and I just live with the worm casts, I need the worms.  When we had mice on our nut feeder, I caught them in a humane trap and relocated them to a nearby common.  I have to say though that my lawn is not at all beautiful, but I'm not that precious about anything in the garden, I'd rather have it full of wildlife.  

13/12/2015 at 17:25

Alan, we have moles. They will eat all the worms for you. I could send you a couple if you like.... I don't even want them back! In fact, I'll  stop you the moles for the worms.

13/12/2015 at 17:40

Ian you really can't kill those worms.  

I admit I used to....a special worm killer.  I quickly realised the chemical was persistent and could filter through to the grass where young children and my dog played.  

I understand your frustration.....I wanted the perfect lawn too.  

Posy's solution?  Do you really want moles....mole hills...in your lawn?  Then you really would have a terrible lawn.

Ian, don't brush wet worm casts.....they won't disperse and will make a mess of your lawn.   use a stiff broom when dry. Avoid using organic feeds on your lawn

email image
9 messages