Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Wormery design

I have had a wormery for several years now but the compost is never as good as I expected it to be. This year I have left it for the last 8 weeks pretty much to its own devises and lo and behold the top tier of the bin has very nice compost whilst the bottom one is very compact and there is still the odd bit left in it. There are quite a lot of worms in it now (had a bit of a worm collapse the other year) but they seem to struggle a bit at the bottom layers.

After thinking a bit why the top tier is dong quite well and the bottom one not I suspect that my cheapo wormery might need something to keep the trays further apart. when stacked together they more less or have a couple of centimetres between them and I am starting to suspect the reason the bottom layer never really gets very good is that it becomes too compact due to the trays squashing them down (in addition to my excessive tea consumption, probably 50% of the stuff in there is tea leaves).

So my question is does more expensive wormeries have quite a gap between the tiers allowing the worms to get about their business without having the weight of the world over them? Mine came from Stokes Worms (no defunct) 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

swedboy, I think that there is about 10cm between layers. Try Garden Organic, they may have a design for making one (they are a bit pricey to buy).image

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

I think if I add some kind of stopper to the one I have it would work. I have some old cable holder that if turned upside down would do the job.