London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 14°C
6 messages
17/05/2012 at 23:47

I have had a Stokes wormery for two-three years now and it is mostly working fine. No massive worm death yet but at the moment it is getting a bit out of sync. The bottom and middle trays are not ready and the top one was full but now have decayed to about 1-2 inches.So my question is I can add anything more to the top tray as it is now less than 1/3 full or wouldl that just make the top one too compact when I finally switch trays. I am currently sending the scrapps off via Bristol Councils brown bin scheme.

18/05/2012 at 08:53

I wouldn't add anything more at the moment - the usual advice is to add little and often. Due to the cold wet weather we have had the worms have probably slowed down, I'd keep an eye on things over the next few weeks and if the weather improves then the worms should be able to catch up. Maybe think about a compost bin for all your extra scraps.

18/05/2012 at 10:05
Sadly my garden is too small to harbour a compost bin. That's why I got the wormery in the first place.
18/05/2012 at 11:05

My worms are on a bit of a go slow too! I would think it's OK to add a little bit more to the top tray as it's down to a third full.
My EDDC brown bin is useful when there is stuff that worms don't like or there is too much for them. As long as it's being composted I'm OK with that.

18/05/2012 at 11:52
Mine are quite slow too at the moment. Any tips to improve the compost mine never really seems to be 100% finished and is usually quite wet. I tend only to add kitchen towel to it since adding newspapers and cardboard don't break down quickly enough.
18/05/2012 at 11:59

If you shred the newspaper before adding it will help and mix it in with fresh scraps when you add them too should help with the problem. I also leave my tap open with a bottle angled up against it so that the liquid does not build up.

email image
6 messages