Start a new thread

1 to 4 of 4 replies

frensclan

Wormless; is what my garden is! I have been in it 3 years now. It was once part of a field and is on solid clay which floods when it rains and drains really slowly. I have created many raised beds for plants and vegetables but regardless of how much compost and manure I put on in I have yet to see a worm? This means that the compost etc is not being pulled down into the soil structure which is not being broken up by the worm activity. Can I purchase worms and introduce them to the garden and if I do will the thrive and multiply?

pansyface

Worms can drown just as other things can. They can't survive in soil that is flooded. However, your raised beds sound like a good idea. If you have any way of getting your hands on good quality fresh farmyard manure or manure from stables that will do two things at once. It will give you added texture and air in the soil and it will seed the soil with worms and their eggs.

frensclan

Thank you for that idea pansyface  . I had looked at buying in live worms but had not thought of your suggestion. In fact I don't think I knew that worms laid eggs or if I did had forgotten. My next door neighbours brother has a farm locally so I will have a word with her when she comes back off holiday. Don't suppose you know if there is a "best " time of the year to do this?

pansyface

I think that worms are just like the rest of us, they are more active in the warmth than when it's cold.