Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

wot dunnit

I've a well established patch of one of the tall persicarias, one end is perfectly OK the other end has suffered damage. I don't use weedkillers and it's nowhere that it could be affected by anyone else's. It was fairly weed covered until today. The weeds were healthy.

Near by I have another species of persicaria, also affected. But lots of others that look fine

In the sticks near Peterborough

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457

something pee'ing on it in the night?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I wondered about that Cloggie. Must be a new pee-er to the garden, never had anything like that before.

I think this one will survive it, not so sure about the new one.

Last edited: 23 April 2017 22:06:24

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457

Have you got a fence down?

We're open to the world Cloggie. We have muntjac, occasional Roe, badger, fox, other people's cats, rats and elephants

• madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543

In my experience it's the elephants wot dunnit!!!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

I wouldn't be at all surprised madpenguin image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    nutcutlet says:

We're open to the world Cloggie. We have muntjac, occasional Roe, badger, fox, other people's cats, rats and elephants

See original post

You've never got a Unicorn!?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

image Still waiting for one to turn up Lyn

A peacock wandered through once.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I've been pondering over this while I cleaned the bathroom ........ could it just have been nipped by frost/cold wind ...... I know they're hardy but new foliage of any plant can be a bit susceptible to the cold, and the ones I've seen do go brown in the winter ... and that end of the patch might just have caught a very chilly wind nipping across the East Anglian flatlands direct from the Urals.

Just a thought image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Looks like frost damage to me.  I had loads of this round my pond in the old garden and one spring it was all but wiped out by sudden chilly blasts form Siberia.   Went all brown and nasty like that.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato