18 messages
28/03/2014 at 15:38

Hi, I planted a new hedge photinia "red robin" against the wall at the bottom of our garden last year. Some of the plants in the corner are doing really well, but the majority of them are looking very sparse. They've lost most of their bottom leaves, the stems are quite weak and the leaves that remain are pale in colour, compared to the darker green of the thriving plants. They are growing from the top but look very bare. I've treated with vine weevil killer after spotting what I think are larvae. Will the plants come back? What am I doing wrong? The site is sunny and semi-sheltered, although it has been a very windy winter. We planted them last April so cold spring + very hot, dry summer. Thanks for any advice!

KEF
28/03/2014 at 16:05

Sarah, my shrub/ tree is about 10 years and it also looks a bit sick with leaves dropping at the bottom, growth higher up is improving. I think mine has been waterlogged, I've raked some blood, fish, bone at the base and will see what happens to it.

Hope someone else can help you.

28/03/2014 at 20:58

Sarah, it could well be vine weevil damage.  What did you use?  Provado?  

Is the ground wet there?  Does it slope down there?  

I too think a good feed is sensible.  Photinias didn't like that wet winter and many nutrients will have been washed away.  I would give a light cut after a few weeks' growth.

Hopefully your plamts will be fine when good weather returns.

28/03/2014 at 22:14

My photinia was massacred by vine weevil last spring. lots of holes and notches cut out of the leaves. 

11/04/2014 at 17:18

My photinia looks as if it has died all leaves dead and bare.  I have just been out in my garden recently and noticed it.  It has been thriving in its position for 15+ years.  Is there any hope that it may recover or am I better removing it. Normally at this time of year it is coming into a lovely bloom of red.  Very surprised considering we have had a mild winter in the UK.

11/06/2014 at 12:30

I have a very similar situation. I have 6 photinias around the garden & one of them has suddenly become decidedly sick. Three days ago it was fine,now the growing tips have drooped & the leaves are turning brown by the hour. I don't know if there is a connection but I had a magnificent clump of lupins which did exactly the same & a penstemon appears to be following them. They are all planted within a couple of metres of each other. Delphiniums in the same area seem fine. I have carefully examined the root systems of all the affected plants & they seem ok with no sign of disease. Anybody any ideas?

11/06/2014 at 13:33
11/06/2014 at 13:34
Vine weevil grubs? I know you've checked roots, but it only takes a couple to decimate the trunk roots of a plant, which then literally fades and dies in a couple of days...I should know
11/06/2014 at 14:03

Thanks for that I'll have closer look

Lyn
11/06/2014 at 14:04

Not having the time to research,  does anyone know how long they stay as grubs, beore turning into adults, the nematode people say to put them on in Spring and Autumn, shouldnt this mean the grubs arent active.  I still picked one out of a pot the other day.

Seems they are constantly in the grub stage.

11/06/2014 at 14:20

Sadly I have some experience of these nasty little critters, which often over wintered very nicely in my London garden...

they usually overwinter as grubs, then (unless it has been a very mild winter, in which case they could be destructive earlier), they'll usually become active in Spring, eating everything they can find close by. Apparently they don't travel far from the host plant mummy laid them in 

They then hatch as beetles over the summer and start laying eggs - up to 1000 a season. The bad news is that they're also all females!

so by spring, the grubs are nice and plump, getting plumper by the day and raring to go - that's why nematodes work best then...and in autumn to catch the early young grubs or the other ones from spring you may have missed.

I profoundly hate them.

can you tell? 

But I have to say that if you keep on top of them twice yearly with nematodes, it does work.

i also use provado but ONLY on containerised plants (particularly vulnerable to weevils) and only for non-edibles and plants that are not pollinated or don't have obvious flowers. I am very scared of harming bees and this is the first year I have used provado (I blame Verdun, who swears by it ) in my life.

but I did get very sick of seeing more vulnerable plants die...not from weevil necessarily, but all- round 24/7 attack by RSM, leaf miners, aphids and everything. Fed up!

good luck 

05/07/2014 at 14:11

I too have a 'part' sickly photinia this year, planted seven years ago. Gave it a light prune a couple of months ago as it was getting too tall and straggly. All was going well until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that all the new growth and shoots were dying back and leaves drooping down...but only on the right side trunk of the shrub, the left side is growing healthily, leaves turning green and shiny. It looks so weird as it's all the same plant. I've picked off a few curled leaves that had caterpillar cocoons (the brown hairy type which nested in it last year,and I managed to eradicate) but apart from that I'm really puzzled by this 'half' die back.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments please, could it be that vine weevil could be responsible for just attacking one side of theshrub and would it spread to the other half? Thank you

05/07/2014 at 14:19

Hi Sharon

The side that is dying are the dead leaves red in colour, do the leaves droop but stay on the plant, is other leaves got spots on them

05/07/2014 at 14:43

Vine Weevil

Tug on your plant if the plant looks as if it is trying to come out the ground, at one side or any looseness anywhere at ground level then some of the roots have been eaten by Vine Weevil

You need to treat the plant mid to late summer, that will kill the winter to spring larvae and then again in spring and keep it going season after season if needed

05/07/2014 at 15:04

Thanks that is what I am doing. Sadly I now have a magnolia which has done exactly the same as the Photina so that is now getting treatment

05/07/2014 at 16:19
05/07/2014 at 16:35
Hi Buddyboy, the leaves are still hanging on the shrub but I think it'll only be a matter of time til they die and drop off. Your comment about gaps around the base me think back a few months ago when it was rocked so hard by severe winds I had to lash the plant to the fence to save it from being uprooted. Maybe vine weevil invaded via that gap and as I have stone chippings around the base I wouldn't have noticed. I will indeed treat the area now and again in the spring and hope this will save it.
Thanks again, this is my first time on the forum and I've found it invaluable already.
12/09/2014 at 18:06

Hi my photonics seems to be bleeding sap from a branch joint. Flies are attracted to this as it is sticky help will this plant survive 

Esther

email image
18 messages