London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
10 messages
29/05/2013 at 00:51

Yesterday I planted my tomatoes and peppers and today I noticed they have yellowish spots on them. It was super hot and I got a sunburn where my sunscreen didn't cover me. I was wondering if maybe they got a bit of sunburn too? I read somewhere online that if water touched the leaves and the sun was to hot it might have scortched. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24220.jpg?width=536&height=350&mode=max

29/05/2013 at 08:33

Morning luLu

Yes I think it is sunburn.  water on leaves in sunshine would cause white spots too.  Perhaps a little fleece for a few days if sun is hot?

29/05/2013 at 10:19

Not knowing where you are located makes judging difficult-bit don't think that it is sunburn looks more like a reaction to cold temperatures-were they hardened off correctly-was it it cold at night ??

01/06/2013 at 00:26

I'm in Ontario, Canda. They were fine for a week while I waited to get my garden tilled and then one hot day I planted them and watered them then the next day I noticed that. 
Think they'll be ok?

13/06/2013 at 08:31

The lower leaves on my tomato plants are yellow, as they would at the end of the season. Only started feeding them last week, the variety is gardeners delight, three other plants of a different variety are not showing any sign of yellowing. Any idea please?

please?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25400.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

13/06/2013 at 08:32

And don't ask me why the picture came out upside down!!!!!!

13/06/2013 at 08:48

@SW2 For me, these pots don't look big enough for tomato plants. Yellow leaves can be one sign that the plants nutrients are running out. I'd pot on to 10l florist style flower buckets. Very cheap to buy.

13/06/2013 at 08:54

They are grown in open ended pots so that the roots go down into the gravel bed below, have used this system for 30years and it's great!

13/06/2013 at 09:05

Other reasons could be disease or just general lower leaf old age. I don't use this method - as a matter of interest, do you enrich or change the soil which is under the gravel ?

13/06/2013 at 12:56

There is no soil under the gravel. The ring culture of growing tomatoes is well documented. The idea is the roots can go down into the trough, which has water in it. You feed the plants through the soil in the plant pot . I have used this method for over 30years with great success, the gravel is taken out of the polythene lined trench and cleaned every winter.

The reason I am asking is because I have never had the leaves go yellow and mottled within 6weeks of planting them out, they have 2sets of trusses on.

email image
10 messages