London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
17 messages
03/02/2014 at 15:18

Advice wanted please! I sowed a small front lawn at the end of last summer, it has grown well but it is now going very yellow all over, it's not far off being all totally bright yellow! We are in February. Should I give it some feed?

I had stripped an old lawn off and lay down a load of compost that you get in bags from the garden centre, and sowed the lawn seed on top of this, with a bit of soil mixed in. I didn't give it any extra feed at the time of sowing and we have had a lot of rain since then. It would look good except for the yellowing, I know it is winter and it may recover but I would like it to look better if possible, the only thing I can think of is to give it a bit of feed but would this do it any harm?

03/02/2014 at 15:25

Given the foul weather, perhaps it's waterlogged? Don't apply any feed as this could just encourage soft growth which would only be damaged by the next frost.

I'd leave it along until the weather warms up and , if it's waterlogged, avoid walking on it as much as possible. Lawns are very resilient, be patient.

03/02/2014 at 15:52

Thanks Hostafan1, I'll leave it as it is and give it some feed at the start of spring, it has grown very well in the 4 months from seed, so I want it to do well. I'll have to tell my sister about this forum as this is my first time on it today, we are both plantaholics and will enjoy the photos and information.

03/02/2014 at 18:14

crazyf, could it be that the local dogs are using it as a loo? though that would tend to make it patchy yellow.

03/02/2014 at 20:58

No artjak, the dogs use the pavement as a loo! Its not in patches. Perhaps it has had too much rain and not enough feed was in the ground when sown, i'll have to wait till spring to give it some feed now, shame I was so pleased with how it looked after having a terrible lawn at front of my house.

03/02/2014 at 22:24

I'd fork it and brush some sharp sand into it, the compost was it potting compost?

If it was there is your problem, potting compost holds on to water so improve the drainage.

03/02/2014 at 23:30

Yes, I put down a lot of multipurpose compost after I lifted the old turf off, with a bit of topsoil mixed in and then sowed the lawn seed. I'll fork it and brush sharp sand into it soon then, thanks. I want it to look good and last a few years, now i've got rid of the old neglected lawn, especially after all my hard work 

04/02/2014 at 04:01

I never thought about potting compost being water holding. Explains why mine is keeping it's squelch!

Good tip.

04/02/2014 at 08:22

ours is waterlogged and half completely bare, east fcing gets hardly any sun nov-march and we wrecked it with daily paddling pool use last summer,then fig tree dropped enormous quantity ans size leaves on bare bit, forked it and brushed sand in in november, wonder should we do it again before reseeding in march?

04/02/2014 at 17:14

Consider that you may have Leatherjackets (daddylonglegs larvae), if there the lawn will be looking poorly by now and going into the early spring months. They can do enormous damage to the grass

05/02/2014 at 08:44

You could try feeding it with a winter specific feed (i.e. low nitrogen).

When i feed during the winter I feed at three quarter strength as advised on the pack (i.e. if the pack advises feeding at 35 grammes per square metre i feed at about 20-25 grammes). I find this keeps the lawn ticking over nicely until spring.

I also feed sometimes during the winter with an iron only feed, this will help keep the green colour without promoting surge growth.

05/02/2014 at 16:23

Thanks dreaming spires I'll try that as there seems to be as much yellow grass as green and just doesn't look good, I'll go to GC and look for sum lawn winter feed. It would have helped to post a photo but camera broken, been looking at some of the wonderful photos posted on this site, beautiful!

05/02/2014 at 16:27

I've just looked at my front lawn which could've done with a mowing before the weather turned too cold to mow and so is a bit longer than I would like for the winter - lots of the grass has yellow tips and yellow edges on the blades of grass - is this what yours is like?  I think it's just the effect of winter and the frosts and cold wet weather - I have no doubt that all will be well when spring arrives 

07/02/2014 at 12:56

Had a closer look at the lawn and I did forget to say that it is on a slight slope and greener at top of slope, so probably it's cos of the waterlogging of the compost I put down. Some of the blades are nearly all yellow, I will fork it, put down some sharp sand and i've found some winter feed on internet from Lawnsmith.

Dreaming spires if you read this can you tell me which winter feed you think I should I send for? The one with just iron or the one with low nitrogen/potassium with iron added? Don't know if it'll just sort it if I fork and add the sand but the winter feed probably won't do any harm? So it won't be harmful to use this winter feed every year? May be a waste if it doesn't need it tho? Maybe just use the usual spring and autumn feed? Thanks. I too like hellebores and after looking at the pics on here will prob have to buy a few more, running out of room tho!

08/02/2014 at 07:33

crazyflower have you already spiked and sanded it? i have but think i'll have to again, so waterlogged,totally bare patch 2square metres,haven't heard of winter feed dreaming spires, is it worth doing that before reseeding in 6 weeks or so? this lawn is going to take a lot of work,and would rather spend time on plants/enjoying garden but with 2 small children i think grass is a must for us

08/02/2014 at 08:34

Louise

Best to KEEP OFF the grass right now.  You are doing more harm than good. ,if you have already spiked it then leave well alone

If leatherjackets efc have damaged the lawn they will have done their worst by now 

When comditions improve ....dry out......give grass a high cut.  In spring rake it lightly and reseed bare patches.  A good feed in mid spring will reclaim your lawn

In September consider nematodes to control leatherjackets and chafers

Lawns, like everything else, have taken quite a battering this year.

09/02/2014 at 15:09

thanks verdun, i think it's us who have battered it with paddling pool and then the thick carpet of fig leaves my excuse for not raking up asap is i was hugely pregnant! looked out today,looks like we have a natural paddling pool!

email image
17 messages