London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
5 messages
15/12/2013 at 12:38

Help, my lovely Stephanotis leaves are going yellow and dropping off and I've no idea why.

It is a bright position and is kept moist and I feed it a weak tomato fertiliser monthly so can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong??

15/12/2013 at 12:51

Sillybug,

This is from the RHS website, only you can tell if your problem fits any of the causes of what you describe.

Stephanotis suffers from some common houseplant problems.

• Pests: susceptible to scale insectred spider mitemealybug and root mealybug
  • Lack of flowering: may be caused by low humidity or insufficient summer warmth, but may also be due to unsuitable winter treatment. Keep plants cool in winter – between 13-16°C (55-61°F) – and water sparingly. Poor general growing conditions and lack of feeding may also be factors
  • Flower bud drop: extreme changes in growing conditions, either over or under watering, extreme high or low temperatures or lack of humidity may cause the flower buds to drop
  • Yellowing and dropping of leaves: this may follow waterlogging or very low temperatures. Lack of feeding will cause a general yellowing of the leaves without dropping. Plants should show green rapidly after foliar feeding
15/12/2013 at 12:51

could be water logging,low temperatures or the lack of feeding.

It needs good drainage.

try john inners no2.

This is only what I found on internet.

15/12/2013 at 17:46

Thank you I will repot it and see what happens.

17/12/2013 at 11:34

Good idea! Do not water the compost after re-potting. I used to grow tropical plants including Stephanotis and they must be kept on the dry side of waterlogged! Also minimum temperature of 60 degrees F.

email image
5 messages