London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
18/08/2013 at 19:01

Seemm to have a yew suffering from something up to around 3 months ago it was in a big pot and was transplanted into the garden in admittedly fairly clay soil.

It was doing fine but over the last couple of weeks it has started to go yellow and some branches are brown. Any idea what may be wrong with it and what it needs. It did get a dose of lime a few weeks ago from the farmer spreading it on his meadow which blew into the garden might that be making it sick?

18/08/2013 at 19:23

I believe that yew trees don't like to get their feet wet, so it might be waterlogged in the clay.

18/08/2013 at 19:53

Yews do not really,like being transplanted.  Or moved.  It's such a rough,,durable, drought resistant, cut back resistant plant yet it suffers when moved invariably.

However, you say it thrived on being moved.  Could be lime blown onto the foliage causing burn, etc.  but yews are tolerant of lime in the soil.  Lime is caustic so pretty sure that's the cause.  

I would leave well alone for now, not water or feed.  Hopefully it will settle down and you can prune out the affected areas later.  I would wait until early next spring and give it a prune.  What variety is it?

18/08/2013 at 19:55

Think I'd agree with waterbutts blackest.They can cope with pollution and all sorts of things but they like good drainage.

18/08/2013 at 21:28

Hey fairy!  You disagreeing with me?   Not good form,,what?  ..ha ha 

Comsidered wet clay but it's been so,hot and dry over past 3 months ...the period in question....that I suspect topical lime damage.  if anything that clay,may have dried out,and cracked ......cousin of mine gardens on heavy clay and it's been drying out over  past months. 

Have I convinced you fairy?

18/08/2013 at 21:51

I was imagining Blackest in Ireland and trying to remember the Irish weather of my holidays. I don't remember any droughts.

18/08/2013 at 21:55

if it's been in a pot of compost it might be struggling to make headway, (or rootway) into the clay. 

18/08/2013 at 22:14

Sorry Verd- agreeing with wb again!!!  

Irish weather very much like Scotland's - we don't get a lot of droughts either!

19/08/2013 at 00:10

Oh, alrighty then..........

Maybe blackest can tell us if it's been hot n dry there over past 3 months.   If its been wet you guys may be correct.

19/08/2013 at 10:04

in the last month it's been raining fairly regularly (not continually) but we did get into a drought the preceeding month which did dry out the soil in places. 

its called Taxus Baccata or common yew

19/08/2013 at 10:32

A very diplomatic answer, if I may say so!

19/08/2013 at 11:16

I think it was the lime from the farm: you just have to see the affect of salt spray from winter roads that brown Yew.

I have a Yew in my clay soil, though I improved the drainage somewhat and it was in a pot for years before - it was not getting enough water and nutrients in the pot. It turned dark green from almost yellow within weeks.

I would be tempted to add an ericacious liqduid feed and a high nitrogen feed.

19/08/2013 at 18:48

Thanks for all the advice, i'll suggest the ericacious liquid feed and high nitrogen feed and see if that perks it up.

19/08/2013 at 19:57

Good luck blackest.  Let us know how things go.  I often use Epsom salts to correct nutritient deficiency and as a general tonic.  Maybe later next spring when, hopefully, your plant is already improving

19/08/2013 at 20:08

blackest - hope you can solve the problem-  it could really be either reason. Check if the ground's sodden - if it's looking ok then it most likely is the lime and you'll be able to cut the damaged bits out.

Darn it Verdi- I'll have to wave my wand and create a huge wet bog round blackest's yew  just so you're wrong you little devil.....

19/08/2013 at 23:59

Fairygirl.....hee hee hee, snigger, snigger.  

Seriously the forum is only about solving problems and not about who may or may not be right.  ( truth be told I've learned an awful lot about tomatoes this year from the forum and picked up some other ideas too....always learning.  I try to read everybody's post with this in mind)

20/08/2013 at 07:57

Verd- if we were really smart we'd have asked blackest if any other plants had the same damage! D'oh!

You're  right about always learning - I've learned loads already from the forum too. It's been great to have experienced people to ask and we can have a bit of a giggle on the way! 

20/08/2013 at 08:58

Lot of sense there fairy?

11/06/2014 at 21:31

I have similar issue with four yew saplings I've moved. I know they are up against it in my clay soil and they aren't in the shade but I have two others that have done incredibly well over the years. I don't know if these saplings are just in shock or have too much or too little water. Is there any way of telling? Or is there recommended approach when unsure?

When they were planted they each went into a slit of fine top soil with plenty of organic matter and the root was well above the patchy bed of underlying clay that is down about 15 inches. I have fed them with a liquid feed and am aware the current weather is not favourable being either very wet or quite warm sun.

11/06/2014 at 21:41

Yews domt really like it too wet or too claggy, in my opinion.  They domt take to being tramsplanted either.  Moved many conifers but have lost a couple of Taxus/yews.  I wouldn't water for a while.  

1 to 20 of 22 messages