London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
6 messages
12/05/2013 at 15:39

Hi,

I've planted 3 Silver Birches at the bottom of my garden a few months back. They are approx 7ft young trees still reddy brown in colour. 1 of them has seeded and now growing small leaves and foliage but 2 remain dormant. Could this be due to the late spring and they may burst in to life still or could they simply be poor plants and not going to bloom?

Any advice much appreciated thanks!

Lee

12/05/2013 at 16:31

I must say I would be worried about them by now.  My millenium silver birch, thus 13 yers old, was very late coming into leaf after the long winter, but the leaves are now fluttering about happily.  All the titmouse family seem very fond of this tree, eating the early buds, and presumaby the many insects and grubs that live around it.  

Gently scrape a bit off the bark from the dormant trees with your finger nail and see if the wood is green and heathy underneath, if it is I suppose it might yet respond, but if brown I'm afraid it is almost certainly deceased. 

12/05/2013 at 17:20

thankyou bookertoo, ho well, i will try the bark and if not i will just have to get a couple more!

12/05/2013 at 19:50

gave it a scrape on the trunk and still green and healthy. puzzling i suppose i better leave them be until they decease

12/05/2013 at 20:00

Although these are small trees the SBs are relatively late starters.

12/05/2013 at 22:15

Good Lee, lets hope they will sprout yet - if we get a bit of sunshine, you never know, 

email image
6 messages