London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
3 messages
11/07/2013 at 09:37

We had a day out at Plant World, Newton Abbot last Monday. After a lovely lunch we were going to look around the garden. I had to ask about the 2 for 1 entry (there was a coffee advert in front of the 2 for 1 sticker). My husband uses an electric buggy and although the girl said the paths were steep no mention was made of steps or the narrowness of the paths. My husband then decided to wait around in the car park while I looked at the gardens which were very interesting although the steps were a bit precarious in places. Staff from the offices told my husband he couldn't stay where he was as it was private (he was just enjoying the view!). The view from the terrace is only visible if you stand up due to a high wall. I understand that Gardeners World cannot visit all sites but the part disabled accessibility is a complete misnomer and as far as we were concerned was taking money under false pretences. After I got home and checked the book I should only have been charged for single entry; I feel I am owed £1.50. We were even given tickets to pass to our friends (I returned these saying I would never recommend it to anyone!)

11/07/2013 at 10:24

Loraine, have you complained by email to Plant World? I think they are very naughty to mis-represent their disabled facilities.

12/07/2013 at 22:52

We had a day out yesterday at Marwood Hill Gardens. Such a different reception. We were told which way to go to avoid steps and we had a lovely day mainly on the house side of the valley which was accessible although a bit steep in places. I walked up the hill on the other side while my husband sat by the water and watched the world go by. Such a different day out. Excellent food again!

Will probably write to Plant World over the weekend.

email image
3 messages