London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
81 to 100 of 163 messages
19/04/2012 at 10:07

Many thanks. 

19/04/2012 at 10:08

Reply to Gary Hobson: I'm pleased to hear that you like the functionality of the forum. Thank you for your comments about advertising. Like many community forums, we don't allow advertisements. This is because the purpose of the forums is for people to share information and ideas about gardening; if we permitted advertising, the forum would quickly become overrun with commercial posts, making it harder for people to navigate, and to find the information they're looking for. We do remove advertising posts when we find them, and message the posters to explain the reason. If anybody wishes to advertise elsewhere on the site, we're happy to put them in touch with the advertising team. You can view the full forum code of conduct here:

gardenersworld.com forum code of conduct

Best,

Daniel
Editor, gardenersworld.com

20/04/2012 at 08:49

As an old stick-in-the-mud I was a bit concerned about moving from the old BBC Gardening forum to this one. I shouldn't have been. It's light, fresh and colourful (almst like myself) and I really enjoy the search facility. There is so much useful information stored in there. Well done!

20/04/2012 at 09:39

Like Paul I am slightly long in the tooth and decided I would give up on the boards after beeb finally decided to end it all. I do have a very active interest in local History which keeps me quite busy. Out of curiosity after reading some of the comments by those who jumped ship and still reported on the old Beeb forum I did have a look see- and liked what I saw. People with queries in my fields of knowledge and so I too jumped ship. Still finding my way round and it is getting easier, I do have trouble trying to find any feed back to my posts, the Beeb had "your posts" facility which told you if there were answers, clicking on your name did the trick. Well I am here to stay and that may annoy some who know me but "hey" you cannot please them all.

Frank.

20/04/2012 at 13:17

In My Forum Settings the options don't seem to be selectable. I can't see which options are enabled / disabled. I want to arrange it so that the past posting appears at the top of the thread. Is this still work in progress or am I being a bit dumb?

20/04/2012 at 14:21

You're not being dumb, Gold1locks, no! I've left a response to this after your post on the 'Bugs' thread, which you can view here:

Site bugs thread

Best,

Daniel

20/04/2012 at 14:26

Thanks. 

23/04/2012 at 19:49

Would it be possible to have a tick box so you can track a topic you are interested in but not want to post on. It would be quite handy. I like to read about things but not alwasy have anything useful to post on the thread.

25/04/2012 at 11:41

I was pleased to discover this site. I am a member of a couple of other gardening sites, one of which is brill. I used to try to belong to the bbc message boards. but they were never up early enough for me to join in. I like the fact that there is an area for idle chit chat too. The msg boards got very silly with chat that followed on in topics, and the conversations became irrelevant to the subject.

I like this site and shall visit it more often.

25/04/2012 at 12:54

I like what I have seen of the site very much and find it easy to use. The forum is great and the search facilities too.

So far just one thing is bugging me; in the forum when I move across a person's avatar a great black box instantly appears which is very annoying as I have to move right across the post to get rid of said box. Would it be possible, sometime, to make it so that you have to hover on the avatar for a second or two before the black box appears then you can easily get it but only when you want it?

Thanks

FloBear

25/04/2012 at 15:56
25/04/2012 at 16:01

I know you are aware of the intermittent appearance of the 'view last post first' link on top left, but i have just noticed that on the following thread the link is visible, but doesn't take you beyond page 1 - at least not when I tried it just now. 

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/april-in-your-garden/2602.html?lastunread=1&lastviewed=25077#lvm

25/04/2012 at 16:18

Reply to Gold1locks: I've posted a response over on the wisteria thread.

I'm afraid I've not been able to replicate the other problem, but it could be related to the previous issue with the 'View first unread post' link. The technical team will give that their attention.

Thanks for the alert!

Daniel

25/04/2012 at 17:10

Reply to Swedboy. Do you mean that you'd like to receive email alerts when particular threads are updated? As you will have noticed, it's currently only possible if you've contributed to the thread. The easiest way to track threads on a given subject is to use the search facility at the top of each page. Once a result is returned, it is possible to filter further by content type, one of the filters being forum posts. The advantage of this method is that it would display links to all forum posts on that subject, not just one. For example, here is a search result for forum posts relating to roses:

Forum posts relating to roses

Does this help?

Daniel

25/04/2012 at 17:18

While you're there Daniel, still can't upload jpgs from my PC. Have found an easy work around with photobucket which I've shared with others, but would be nice to be able to do it directly from pc.

25/04/2012 at 17:20

Reply to backyardee: I'm pleased to hear that you like gardenersworld.com, and that you will be visiting more often! Do let us know if there is anything you would like to see on the site.

Reply to FloBear: thanks for the feedback regarding the avatar hover box. I'll add this to my list of questions for the techies. I feel a spreadsheet coming on! Good to hear that you find the site easy to use; particularly nice to have feedback on the new Search facility, which we were thrilled by when it was first introduced at the end of last year.

Daniel

25/04/2012 at 17:30

Reply to figrat: did you see my other message relating to the problem? If you could try uploading the image from another browser than IE8, then that will help us determine if it is a browser issue. It might be worth trying in Firefox or Chrome, if that is possible. Also, are your files beneath the 1Mb file size limit for uploads? (Apologies if you've already answered this, and I'm having a brain fog!)

Many thanks,

Daniel

25/04/2012 at 17:33

Figrat, not sure if I can help, but when you click on the green tree just above my message (third icon from the right) you get the following window:

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7005.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

You click 'select' and navigate to the file on your computer, and then click 'upload' . the file needs to be of a certain size in dimensions and bytes - I think 1 mb is the biggest - so you may need to downsize your file. Hope this is not a case of teaching grandma to suck eggs and you already know all this, and have a different problem that I have not helped with!! 

25/04/2012 at 20:48
Daniel Haynes wrote (see)

Reply to Swedboy. Do you mean that you'd like to receive email alerts when particular threads are updated? As you will have noticed, it's currently only possible if you've contributed to the thread. The easiest way to track threads on a given subject is to use the search facility at the top of each page. Once a result is returned, it is possible to filter further by content type, one of the filters being forum posts. The advantage of this method is that it would display links to all forum posts on that subject, not just one. For example, here is a search result for forum posts relating to roses:

Forum posts relating to roses

Does this help?

Daniel

Not really, That link need to be stored somewhere to be useful. I just would like to be able to follow a thread without posting on it. It might just be interesting or have usefull information that I want to read but not comment on.

25/04/2012 at 21:01

On the Beeb site I used to 'ping' so I could keep track of interesting threads without posting. 

81 to 100 of 163 messages