London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 19°C
1 to 20 of 163 messages
29/11/2011 at 13:34

Hello everyone

I'm Sean, and I've been working behind the scenes with gardenersworld.com editor Daniel, and a brilliant team of developers and designers, to set up the new site.  It's great to see you here, and we hope you'll come to find it a home from home...

We'd love you to tell us about...

• What you think overall (on this thread)
  • Anything that's broken or missing (on the Bugs thread)
  • Anything that's confusing (no question too obvious, so do raise them all!) (on the Usability thread)
  • Any other suggestions, small or large (on the Wishlist thread)
  • There's also a forum thread for login problems

What next?

Why not say hello on this thread, before you start trying the site! Just scroll to the message box at the end. Meanwhile, Daniel, the team and I will be answering your posts over the next week or so before launch, and I'll keep roundups of answers to your questions, wishlists and updates.

Sean

30/11/2011 at 11:04

So far so good - I like the new look and it seems to be very easy to find your way around.

30/11/2011 at 11:36

That's great, Terry, thanks for your feedback. And good to hear you find the site easy to navigate!

01/12/2011 at 20:30

Not had too long to have a look, but like what I have seen. Good detail about plants I clicked on.

01/12/2011 at 22:03

Thanks Sharron. We'll be working further on the plant database in the coming months, to increase the available range. If you feel we're missing anything out, do let us know.

02/12/2011 at 11:08

I've not had a chance to look at the whole site but from what I have seen it looks very good so, well done team.  Once thing I have noticed is the "click here" command - top right.  Although I am not visually impaired I am aware that people who use speech recognition tools may find it difficult to "click here", particularly if they use a mouse to navigate around the site.  I don't know the answer - maybe put "read more..." instead?

02/12/2011 at 12:34

It looks nice and seems easy to use but has the scrapbook gone ?

02/12/2011 at 13:12

Hi Jentana. It's still there (we just need to make it easier to find - we'll add a clear button!) If you click on your member name at the top right hand corner of the screen, a dropdown list of your pages appears, and 'my scrapbook' is there. (Here's the link)

We've tested the import with a number of members, but I'd be grateful if you could tell me whether all your cuttings seem to be present and correct.

Rona&gordon - many thanks for your messages. You make a good point about accessibility. That 'new site' unit should have had hoverover text on it at minimum (completely my fault; most of the rest of the site has been well swept for accessibility issues)

04/12/2011 at 13:51

have enjoyed what i have seen. especially plant finder and blogs.not had time to go to everything but looks good.

04/12/2011 at 14:13
The new website looks very good, so much to look at it's a good job I'm not doing much gardening at moment! I initially had problems logging in but Kate kindly helped with that so I'm all set to go now. Think I know what I'll be doing if I can't sleep! So lovely to start planning for the Spring.
    04/12/2011 at 14:26

Thanks, maida.w - our technical team put a lot of effort into improving the plant search, so they'll be pleased to know that you like it.

Patrevlil, it's good to hear that your problem logging in is resolved. I hope the site is useful to you in preparing for spring. Do browse our projects, videos and plant profiles for inspiration, and if you can't find what you're looking for, just use our newly upgraded search facility, located at the top of every page.

06/12/2011 at 12:10

Just put weather in the search engine and got blogs about dealing with the weather.  Where do I find the forecast or do I leave the site and go to the BBC weather site?

06/12/2011 at 14:57

THis is hilarious.  I put weather foecast into the search engine and got 35 places that mentioned the weather forecast.  As the weather in Bristol is turning the rain rather sleety I will put all tender things in shelter anyway when i have stopped giggling.  At least when we get told to watch the weather forecast that often we must need  it.

06/12/2011 at 15:02

Hello happymarion. Sorry about that - we will be adding a local 7-day weather forecast for gardeners to the site early next year. In the meantime, you can view the BBC Weather site here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

06/12/2011 at 21:49

Very Good,Easy to use,Fantastic lay out,Keep up the Good Work Gardners' World 

06/12/2011 at 22:28

Thanks, oceans11brooker, we'll try!

07/12/2011 at 18:07

I really love this new site but had trouble logging in today. Every time I tried to put in my email address a site for the Royal Mint coins came up. The only way round this was to just click on sign in with no email or password in, it then just told me no email address entered and gave the boxes to put it in again, then I was logged on.  

07/12/2011 at 18:57
donutsmrs wrote (see)

I really love this new site but had trouble logging in today. Every time I tried to put in my email address a site for the Royal Mint coins came up. The only way round this was to just click on sign in with no email or password in, it then just told me no email address entered and gave the boxes to put it in again, then I was logged on.  

Yes, sorry, there is a problem with that ad - it will be fixed in the morning. I'm glad you found the temporary solution though!

07/12/2011 at 19:05

Thank you Sean.  

09/12/2011 at 10:22

I just clicked on a picture of Monty Don (always welcome!) and up came a picture of the BeeGees. I had expected a useful list of whats on this week. Did i miss something? Val

1 to 20 of 163 messages