London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
41 to 58 of 58 messages
10/05/2013 at 19:31

cathy and break23-agree!

Don't care for Sarah Raven either.

And I'm not a massive Monty fan either but I just can't understand some of the nasty comments that have been directed at him. Totally unjust.

10/05/2013 at 19:35

Cathy

Well said. I think most of us agree with ??ou

11/05/2013 at 12:38

I quite like MD's style of presenting. It comes across as considered, informative and inclusive; which is nice as a beginner.

The trouble with TV programs like GW is that they have to cater for all tastes. The beginner, like me, who is still learning how to plant properly, perhaps take a cutting or two and needs to be held by the hand. Seeing this 'simple' stuff on TV makes life much easier.

The experienced gardener will find this type stuff boring, no doubt, and wish that there was more exciting stuff. How could GW cram both into a few 1/2 hour programs a year without alienating both parties and those on the road inbetween? Quite difficult I think.

KEF
11/05/2013 at 13:21

Wodufin I think you are right it is challenging to keep us all happy. I will admit watching some of the basics over again is boring, but I didn't think that when Geoff Hamilton was "holding my hand" some years ago.

I like Monty but was a Mr.T fan.

Hope gardening gives you years of pleasure.

Old Chinese proverb:

If you want to be happy for a week kill a pig

If you want to be happy for a year take a wife

If you want to be happy for a lifetime plant a garden

I will point out that I am female and am not advocating killing pigs. Don't want telling off on the forum.

11/05/2013 at 13:35

KEF 

Och aye break23  - we're all like that up here...

I'm kidding-but I know what you mean. I actually never liked Beechgrove as I couldn't watch the 2 women that were on it at the time, and although one still is, I'm coming round to it a bit now! As it's now nationwide it's been interesting to hear the comments from others who are seeing it for the first time. No half hour programme will ever satisfy everyone..you can't even scratch the surface of the surface in that time.

11/05/2013 at 13:44

But..it's good to have a moan.  It's what we all do and enjoy. We are right to complain about the lack of tv progs for us gardeners because it's a fact and we do want more. We can even complain about presenters too but not personally or offensively

...so endeth the sermon for today.  Now eat, drink and be merry!

11/05/2013 at 13:47

Verd-are you on the cake again....

11/05/2013 at 18:54

I have to chip in. I love GW and although I don't always want to do what Monty does I think he's a GREAT presenter. He's like a good Sunday roast, you wouldn't want it every day but, boy, do you look forward to it and know it's good for you and you'll never get bored of it. I'd be very happy with Carol, I really adore Carol too.

I do feel you have to keep people wanting more. I fear if GW went all year round or a full hour every week people would get fed up, even though I wouldn't. I have most of last years plussed and watched them when I needed a fix. the extra programmes with Carol were a god send. 

11/05/2013 at 18:59

Anyone vaguely in the public eye has to take some stick Jim. Either they love you, want to know who does your hair and where you get your ear rings. Or they hate you and you can't do anything right. The chances of being treated as an ordinary human are pretty small

11/05/2013 at 19:05

cathyflitter wrote (see)

Why oh why is there so much 'bitching' about GW - we should all be moaning about the fact that snooker, tennis, ..."

replaces GW and leaves us with a big hole. Snooker for goodness sake, I can't think of anything more dreary to watch. 

11/05/2013 at 20:05

I liked Geoff Hamilton.

Still like Mr Titchmarsh, Monty, Carol Klein, Chris Beardshaw, Jo Swift. Alys   and  Christine, and Dimmocks.

Like Sarah Raven but wish she would get some trousers instead of looking like a bag lady.

Can't stand Toby Buckland. I stopped watching GW while he was the presenter

11/05/2013 at 20:12

I like Gardeners Question Time on Radio4 I don't like any of the T.V. programmes.

Sorry.

11/05/2013 at 20:15

I've got by for most of my life without a TV. One arrived with my mother when she couldn't live alone any more. It left with her when she went to the care home. Glad to see the back of it.

11/05/2013 at 20:17

Fairygirl, we sassenachs love Beechgrove... it fills the hole left by an increasingly unsatisfactory GW. Thanks. Can you send cake too?... Dundee would be great.

11/05/2013 at 20:20

Nut C, 2 friends of mine, recession hit, got shot of their TV 2 years ago; they go for walks, they read books, they TALK to each other, they play board games, they do jigsaw puzzles. My TV does not go on till 9pm and when I hear myself snoring it gets turned off, about 10.30

11/05/2013 at 20:23

An hour and a half artjak. More than I can take.

My PC gets well used though.

11/05/2013 at 20:26

11/05/2013 at 21:02

email image
41 to 58 of 58 messages