London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
4 messages
25/04/2014 at 19:53

What can be causing my compost to have this green algae to form i have been carefull with the watering, in some cases seeds have failed to germinate it is all bought in compost I have used the same sort other years without any problems.

I have used it for all types of seed sown in the greenhouse ventilated well when it gets warm.

Peter 

Edd
25/04/2014 at 20:00

Its a common problem Peter. The compost is too wet and you need good ventilation.The increased ventilation will stop the build up of condensation which wets your compost and creates the problem.

Regards

Edd. 

25/04/2014 at 20:07

I use peat free compost and it always seems to look bone dry and cracked, but if you dig your finger beneath the surface it is nice and moist. I think it's very easy to over water peat free compost. I have been hardly watering mine at all.

25/04/2014 at 20:13

Thank Edd I for got to say I have 2 window missing they got blown out and smashed in the strong winds we had last month, I am still waiting for some new ones, I am woundering if that might be one of the problems as it would get very cold at night.

Peter.

email image
4 messages