Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 51 replies

star gaze lily

Yes, apart from that, does anyone know about the care  

Dovefromabove

They can cope with colder weather than people realise, as long as their roots are dryish.  They hate cold and wet together. 

star gaze lily

Was thinking of keeping in a pot for a few years and bringing into the conservatory over winter. What do you think? Or would it be better in the ground?

Advertisement

Hi star gaze lily!

I have a smallish olive tree in a ceramic pot (pot size about 2 foot tall & 8 inches across). I got it about 5 years ago & it was  about 6 inches tall - the olive tree, not the pot - & is now about 3ft tall & bushy. It's survived all those freezing & snowy winters we've had over the last few years & had a single olive fruit this year!! I dont keep it in a greenhouse or anything over winter just move the pot to a sheltered position so it wont get blown about too much. It's in plain multipurpose peat free compost so has good drainage. I scrape out the top couple of inches each spring & replace with fresh compost & it has the occasional general feed during the growing season but that's about it!! Hope you enjoy growing one too! cheers 

star gaze lily

Bought it friday, its about 4ft tall ( from base of pot ) and quite bushy and a good shape. What sort of feed?

star gaze lily

Bought it friday, its about 4ft tall ( from base of pot ) and quite bushy and a good shape. What sort of feed?

Matty2

I bring mine into GH for over winter. and wrap pots/roots in bubble wrap

A local olive expert told me to use JI No2 as don't need anything that strong and to give them a good feed of tomato feed in spring (April) and that's it for the year.

Mine seem fine on that regime but do need re-potting next spring though growth is very slow

I have just wrapped my 4 foot tree ( bought for me last Mothers Day) pot in bubble wrap. I have moved it to the top of the garden where it is more sheltered. I have some plant fleece but not sure if I need to cover the tree to protect it from frost. What do people think. I did wonder if I should bring it indoors but think that may not be the best idea.

star gaze lily

I'm still undecided, some say leave it out others say bring it in. Don't want to loose it, its such a lovely shape and the're not cheap.

Advertisement

Hi star gaze lily,I think I will stick to my plan to protect it outdoors. Will keep an eye on it and then act accordingly. Trouble is air gets dry inside and with 3 grandchildren coming to see me I don't want to risk it being damaged. I gave my tree a top dressing of Vitax Q4+ in the summer and would highly recommend it. Got it from Dobbies nursery. Have a look on thr RHS website. They are good for advice.

star gaze lily

Many thanks Liz, will have a look later. Just had lunch, now going back to attacking the garage!  Trying to find the end of it, theres so much rubbish in there but I think we are winning! !!!

Matty2

Have ready a space in GH for my 2 now. Will bring them in sometime in next week unless it becomes exceptionally cold. I will wrap the pots in newspaper and bubble wrap and drape fleece on them when real winter starts - they always look like ghosts leering then

star gaze lily

We don't have a GH Matty, would a shed be ok or I could bring it into my conservatory.  What do you think

star gaze lily

Its raining and the temperature has drop quite a lot this evening,  so I have just brought my olive tree inti the conservatory. Is this ok Matty2 and should I repot it now or leave it until spring?