Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 20 replies

wakeshine

Just wondering why the search function never works. Every time I try to search for a topic, to see if anyone has already asked the question, I get very innacurate results or error messages.

Busy-Lizzie

The search doesn't even bring everything up and most relevant often isn't.

NoraGW

Morning,

The search function is pretty problematic, and we're working behind the scenes to hopefully replace the whole thing next year. In the mean time, here's how to use search on the site.

Articles

To search website articles, once you've used the search bar, go straight to 'Articles'. The search function within this section works properly. Or, go to this link:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/article-search/ 

Plants

To search plant profiles, select 'Plants' - again the search function within this section works fine. Or, go to this link:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plant-finder/ 

Forum threads

To search forum threads, you can only click through page numbers on the search results page, you can't search by 'Most recent' or 'Most relevant', which will give you Server error / Runtime error.

You cannot type something different into the search bar, and click 'Search' again either. If you want to search for something else, you'll need to go back to the homepage, or any other section of the website, and start again. 

Here's a little something I made earlier, to show what does and doesn't work...

If in doubt, Google is pretty effective. So you can use that too, just make sure you type in 'Gardeners' World' for more accurate search results, and if you know the exact name of the forum thread you're looking for, you should be able to find that on Google too. E.g. here's what comes up when searching 'gardeners world hello forkers':

Hope that all makes sense! And sorry it is taking so long.

Dovefromabove

I often search on here via Google - as Nora says, it works pretty well 

Advertisement

Papi Jo

Hi Nora, and thanks for the suggestion of using Google search. However, a frequent problem with a Google search is not that it finds not enough results but ... too many, and with too many irrelevant results. In the example you provide, your search "gardeners world hello forkers" found not less than 32,500 results. Yes those at the top of the list are relevant, but as we go down that list many irrelevant results will be shown.

The recommended method for filtering the most relevant results is a) to enclose the searched words between brackets and b) to provide the website address that we are interested in searching. On the attached screenshot you will notice that only 1 400 results were found, but they are ALL relevant.

Search request used: ""hello forkers" site:gardenersworld.com"

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and can't see a Search function at all.  I'm using an iPhone 7.

I had to go to google to find this thread...

Cheers

TP

plant pauper

Top right of screen but you'd probably be quicker starting a new thread if you have a query. There is a START NEW THREAD button at both top and bottom of this page.  Don't forget to hit it again after you've written your piece. 

Papi Jo

@plant pauper,

I beg to disagree with your suggestion. In my opinion there are far too many new threads opened on this forum re the exact same topic. The current discussion entitled "Search function" is the right place for any further posts regarding this topic.

And once more I lament the poor functioning of this forum's Search function. This has been pointed many times and no action whatsoever has been taken by the forum maintainers to fix it.

Busy-Lizzie

I agree Papi Jo, I lament the poor functioning too. It worked well on the old forum before it was up-dated. I think the main reason to update the forum was to make more room for advertisements.

I tried searching for the Jam Jar Flowers thread the other day. I looked through everything it came up with that included jam jars but the Jam Jar Flowers thread wasn't there.

Actually I agree with PP about starting a new thread. I have noticed that new threads get answered but old threads get ignored.

Dovefromabove

Old threads are often ignored because if you've answered it and have nothing further to say what's the point in keeping going back to it?  How are we to know that someone else has asked another question on the same subject?  

The search function doesn't work well and that's a shame, but that's how it is for the time being apparently.

Opening a new thread for your question is a sensible way forward and in my opinion it usually serves the questioner's purpose ... which is the aim of the game after all 

Hostafan1

IMHO the forum is far from perfect, but it's not costing anything. I can live with the niggles.

plant pauper says:

Top right of screen but you'd probably be quicker starting a new thread if you have a query. There is a START NEW THREAD button at both top and bottom of this page.  Don't forget to hit it again after you've written your piece. 

See original post

As I said - I can't see one :)

Dovefromabove

No, I agree ...  I sometimes use an iPhone to access this forum and the Search function seems to be unavailable on it.  It's a nuisance but, hey ho ... that's technology for us   It's fine on my laptop. 

Using Nora's suggestion of Google plus Gardeners World and your subject is the best solution in that case at the moment. 

plant pauper

Quite often,when using the search function, I'll type in the name of a contributor if I can remember one. Unfortunately, then, you are relying on the fact that someone on the thread has mentioned them by name. That's not much use to a first time poster.

I always search for what I think will be a relevant word or phrase but as I say, it's often easier and quicker to start fresh.

Advertisement

Fairygirl

I find the search function a bit hit and miss, but it's not the end of the world. Nobody's died  

As Hosta said - the site's free, so a few niggles here and there are ok. It does seem odd that it often brings up old threads rather than the newest ones though!

Totally agree that it's better for people just to start a new thread. As BL says, new threads get answered quickly (usually) and that's ideal for new posters in particular. 

NoraGW

Hi Tin pot,

We have no site search available on mobile currently. You can use this link instead:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/search/ 

Once you're there, you can search anything on the forum, however there are a few things to avoid so that you don't get a 'Server error' page.

Copied from my original post above:

Forum threads

To search forum threads, you can only click through page numbers on the search results page, you can't search by 'Most recent' or 'Most relevant', which will give you Server error / Runtime error.

Once you've already searched for one term, you cannot then type something different into the search bar, and click 'Search' again either. If you want to search for something else, you'll need to reload the URL above, and start again. Or, if you're on desktop/tablet you can click anywhere on the website and then return to the search page.

Here's a little something I made earlier, to show what does and doesn't work...

We are currently working on a solution for this - I'll update you all as soon as I can.

Kitty 2

I search specific topics via google as I find it works best for me.  Simply type in key words followed by "gardeners word forum".

I'm not sure if it works on phones (I'm on a kindle), but the search bar is visible if I turn my device from portrait to landscape. 

I don't see a problem with new threads being started on question that has previously asked. When I see an old thread dragged up from five years ago it's usually some freeloader flogging old tat.  

I tend to look at the "latest posts" and "new threads" pages rather than the other sub-headings. 

Multiple evergreen 4 in 1 questions don't bother me . Endless quote scrolling gives me more of a groundhog day feeling .