London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
21/07/2014 at 14:21
I thought I should bring to the attention of site admin and users the possibility I may have picked up a virus from this site. I can't be absolutely certain it was GW forums but while on here I had a pop up saying the latest version of Java needed to be installed. It looked very authentic and Java does indeed prompt users to upgrade when necessary.However I started to notice other programs installing themselves so ran a scan with Microsoft Security Essentials. It picked up no threats so I did a scan with Spybot which discovered a file classed as malware and called Win32.downloader.gen - the threat risk was high and I 'think' I've got rid of it. Just so you guys are up to date with your AV software,firewalls etc
21/07/2014 at 14:53

..thanks for letting us know Fishy...I've heard that's a b***er to get rid of... or at least it's complicated but can be done if you know what you're doing...

incidentally... I got rid of Java on both my pc's a while ago as I found it was not needed - I got fed up with keep popping up telling me to update latest version... I don't think you need Java unless you're into gaming or somesuch... otherwise you can safely get rid... made no difference to my computing at all...

21/07/2014 at 14:59

I've recently started getting annoying pop ups including some purporting to be from Google Chrome telling me to update my settings - I've been into Google Chrome via their website rather than via a pop up and refreshed all my settings - it seems to have sorted things .... so far ....

21/07/2014 at 15:25

Don't just use Spybot to remove Win32, you need to do more than that. We had this and Spybot claimed to have removed it, but when I ran it again, there it was.

Google it and follow the instructions on Malaware site.

21/07/2014 at 16:44
I did a re-scan Berghill with Spybot it didn't pick it up second time. There is however something called 'search protect' that I still need to delete. Oh and 'Tuto4PC' I've deleted too.
21/07/2014 at 22:32

Malwarebytes anti-malware (MBAM) is probably the best bet for cleaning-up a multiple infection.

A lot of these nasties now enter via infected adverts (which can appear even on legitimate web sites) so ad-blockers are a must.  If using IE9 or above, be sure to use the built-in Tracking Protection List (TPL) feature with a suitable adblock TPL.  See this Microsoft information:

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Browser/TrackingProtectionLists/

Easylist used here.  No ads, no tracking, no problems!

22/07/2014 at 16:30
Bob,many many thanks for recommending Malwarebytes,I owe you one. I uninstalled Spybot last night and installed Malwarebytes...did a scan and it came up with all sorts of stuff on my comp. It has blitzed the whole lot. I knew something was still wrong because my comp's memory was being pushed to the limit,had to be all that junk. I'd recommend MBs to anyone and this is only the free version
22/07/2014 at 17:07

The same thing has happened to me - it was very authentic and I installed in. I still have problems - just about to install Malwarebytes. Thank you very much for the advice.

22/07/2014 at 17:45

Fingers crossed it is fixed.

22/07/2014 at 18:10

Have reported it to the web team. I am normally so computer savvy too but guess there is a first time for everything.

22/07/2014 at 19:10
Hogweed - yes it seemed very genuine to me too. I always click 'decline' or 'no' to anything I haven't asked for. But this looked to be an authentic Java upgrade reminder. Spybot got rid of some of the junk but Malwarebytes is probably the best free anti-malware software I've seen. Hope its worked for you too.
22/07/2014 at 19:35

Yes it seems to have done the trick. I had uninstalled the programs manually but today my computer kept asking me to put my usernames and passwords in again so I guess some junk or corruption was still left. Malwarebytes seems to have done the trick.

22/07/2014 at 20:21

Glad that seems to have sorted it for you both - I use it at work all the time (usually when one of their children has "borrowed" a colleague's laptop!)

When you do a full clean-up it will remove cookies which may contain usernames/passwords for some of the sites you visit which is why you had to put them in again hogweed.

I agree with salino, too - use add/remove programs to uninstall Java as it's not often used these days.  If you find something stops working after doing that you can always easily download and install it again.

22/07/2014 at 20:44

Just remember that MB is a short term freeby and if you want it to remain on your machine and working, you have to buy the full program.

I keep Spybot on and that clears most things out. I also have a background program called Scotty from WinPatrol (Google it for the Website). This prevents anything from altering your computer without your permission.

22/07/2014 at 21:59

I had to keep putting in usernames and passwords before I ran the Malwarebyte program. It looked as though the programs the fake Java installed corrupted the password file.

22/07/2014 at 22:36

The free version of MBAM is completely free forever.  However, you have to make sure that during the installation you uncheck the trial option.  These days even Adobe try and install unwanted stuff (like browser toolbars and Chrome) unless you untick boxes during the installation.  It's a bit sneaky but is now standard behaviour it seems.

22/07/2014 at 23:33

..it's good to know that there is something out there that deals with it...thank you... although I have paid for security suite..which ought to.... but even so, this can always be used as an additional backup I think, as it doesn't conflict....working as it does in a different way...   I have read that the latest version 2.2, seems to be causing some people problems... and they prefer the earlier one....

23/07/2014 at 16:33

Check in your google chrome settings that you don't have any extensions/plugins/addons (whatever google calls them) which have installed themselves. I had this problem with mine and no matter how many times you got rid of them they kept coming back. Stopped using it in the end as was getting ads spammed everywhere

24/07/2014 at 23:52

Just had that virus try to hijack me again. It comes up with something like 'an outdated version of Java has been detected on your browser.Click here to install latest version'.

Anyone reading this who hasn't yet been hijacked,please keep an eye out.

25/07/2014 at 09:53

Hello everyone,

I checked this out with a member of our technical team who assured me that any virus/malware won't have been transmitted via this site. We have robust security measures in place, and if we were the target of any dubious activity our filters would pick it up. It's well worth installing security software to ensure that you use the internet safely. You can set up regular, automated scans to detect any potentially harmful code that has been downloaded onto your machine.

Thanks for raising the issue.

Daniel Haynes
Editor, gardenersworld.com

1 to 20 of 23 messages