London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
18 messages
19/04/2012 at 18:19

I may have missed something obvious as I'm just finding my way around but..

How do you know who someone is replying to in a busy thread? I'm referring to the "this is a reply to..."function from the soon-to-be-late BBC message board!

19/04/2012 at 18:30

Think the only option is to quote the message Toonia*.  Someone has asked the same question on Goldilock's Welcome Thread.  I suppose you could always say who you were replying to and the time of the post.

* And nice to hear from you.  Don't know if you remember me but I lurked for years and got to 'know' you all before I finally joined up so that I could go on the Harlow Carr outing in 2008 

19/04/2012 at 18:33

This one I can answer-if you want to reply to certain post include it in yours by pointing the mouse to the lower right of the message-2 boxes will appear-quote and send- click on quote then click on the quotes symbol in the bar next to ABC and as if my magic

toonia wrote (see)

How do you know who someone is replying to in a busy thread? I'm referring to the "this is a reply to..."function from the soon-to-be-late BBC message board!

you can use it in your reply where you want-try it

toonia wrote (see)

19/04/2012 at 19:02

OK, so I get that if YOU are replying to a particular post then you can quote that in your reply to make it clear so will try to remember to do it when necessary.

But if someone else hasn't quoted the post they're replying to then you still have to read back to find out who they're talking to...?

I really don't want to nitpick because my first impressions of this site are very positive.

I do remember you Joanybird and am pleased  to meet old friends and people I know from lurking in more recent times!

19/04/2012 at 19:14

The just say hello toonia-I know what you mean as the posts are not visibly numbered-there is a feedback discussion-yoou could make your point on there-the editor does answer questions-that in itself is a novelty-and there may be a reason

19/04/2012 at 19:28

Thanks Geoff - another poser -can you (Geoff personally) link to the feedback discussion you referred to so I can get there directly?

19/04/2012 at 19:33

You ask-I deliver

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/site-feedback/8.html

19/04/2012 at 19:53

Not clickable but I can cut and paste. I'm not testing you, just the site, I hope you understand!

19/04/2012 at 20:03

cut and paste away-I think I am doing links wrong because some seem to do it inclickable bold-does that make sense-will investigate how to do it proper

19/04/2012 at 20:51

You are such a helpful sausage

20/04/2012 at 07:51

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/site-feedback/who-is-talking-to-who/2657.html

20/04/2012 at 08:54
Instructions for inserting link to websites in posts is in the forum help bit. I can read it and understand it, but a lot of the functionality of this site isn't available on iPad, which I use most of the time. Wonder if it's the same for Mac users?
20/04/2012 at 08:58

Thanks for trying the links, Geoff.

I'm on a PC so I'll have a try at a link myself:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/bbc-gardening-arrivals---meeting-point/2508.html

Can't see a preview function..if this fails I'll go and read the instructions that figrat mentions. Can't be the only person to do that as the last resort!

20/04/2012 at 09:02
I am girly swot!
20/04/2012 at 09:07

OK. Same as Geoff.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/site-feedback/who-is-talking-to-who/2657.html
Think that has worked but now my font has gone tiny.
There are two symbold to the right of the smileys above, the instructions are to highlight the text, click the first link symbol, a pop up appears and you insert the link into the space provided.
Now i'll try and make my font bigger!
20/04/2012 at 09:10
Link works!
20/04/2012 at 09:23

The instructions did help  ....

Now my font's back to usual but it did that itself.

Thanks all for your help and patience.

20/04/2012 at 09:50
email image
18 messages