Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

Ashleigh 2

I have a couple of group 3 clematis, when I come to prune them is it worth treating the prunings as cuttings? If so will they be ok in a cold frame and should I use rooting hormone and ordinary or sterile compost? 

Dovefromabove

I don't have any group 3 at the moment, and I usually propagate my clematis by layering, but it's certainly worth having a go.  I would use a loam-based compost with added grit - I probably wouldn't use rooting hormone, but why don't you try some with and some without and let us know the result?  

They'll be fine in a cold frame as long as they have plenty of ventilation - you just need lots of patience 

chicky

Ashleigh - if the hardwood cuttings don't work then try some softwood ones in July/August - i have had success with group 3's that way

Ashleigh 2

Thank you both, I'll let you know how it goes. Dovefromabove can you begin layering at any time year?

Ashleigh try this link to the rhs.

It is easy to take clematis cuttings, and I do use hormone rotting powder.

I have done them in water as well although opinions are split on water cuttings and hormone powder.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=97

Advertisement

Dovefromabove
Ashleigh 2 wrote (see)

Thank you both, I'll let you know how it goes. Dovefromabove can you begin layering at any time year?

I do it when I think of it, but the growth happens through the late spring and summer.