London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
6 messages
26/01/2014 at 02:21

I have a couple of group 3 clematis, when I come to prune them is it worth treating the prunings as cuttings? If so will they be ok in a cold frame and should I use rooting hormone and ordinary or sterile compost? 

26/01/2014 at 08:58

I don't have any group 3 at the moment, and I usually propagate my clematis by layering, but it's certainly worth having a go.  I would use a loam-based compost with added grit - I probably wouldn't use rooting hormone, but why don't you try some with and some without and let us know the result?  

They'll be fine in a cold frame as long as they have plenty of ventilation - you just need lots of patience 

26/01/2014 at 09:16

Ashleigh - if the hardwood cuttings don't work then try some softwood ones in July/August - i have had success with group 3's that way

26/01/2014 at 11:27

Thank you both, I'll let you know how it goes. Dovefromabove can you begin layering at any time year?

26/01/2014 at 11:30

Ashleigh try this link to the rhs.

It is easy to take clematis cuttings, and I do use hormone rotting powder.

I have done them in water as well although opinions are split on water cuttings and hormone powder.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=97

26/01/2014 at 11:47
Ashleigh 2 wrote (see)

Thank you both, I'll let you know how it goes. Dovefromabove can you begin layering at any time year?

I do it when I think of it, but the growth happens through the late spring and summer. 

email image
6 messages