London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
3 messages
20/06/2014 at 14:49

Hi all, I know there are some superb rose experts on this forum so I hope you can help or tell me where I have gone wrong. Dearest hubby bought me 2 ramblers ( a Rambling Rector and Wedding Days plus a climber (dont know the species) to go over some arches, this was 2 yrs ago. I planted them in Sept 1st yr and trimmed back the Rector as it had a few dead bits. The ramblers flowered last summer but the climber didnt. I have let them put on some growth and not cut them back much (except for the suckers)as I wanted them to cover the arches. There have only been a few flowers on any of them this year, they have been manured and given some blood, fish and bone.

Any clues, we have a shady garden and clay soil.

20/06/2014 at 14:57

PRUNING: Climbing roses, prune out dead and crossing branches and anything that doesn't fit your space. Tie the branches horizontal and deadhead for more flowers.

:Rambling roses, prune only dead or old branches from the base at about one third. Never prune new growth if you can help it unless its too big. They can get rather large, so plant somewhere and let them romp away. Only flower once a year, abundantly.

20/06/2014 at 15:34

..I have a feeling you are cutting off flowering wood that you believe to be suckers, when they are probably not... suckering is rare these days... new growth is often mistaken for suckers and people cut them off...

email image
3 messages