Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

10ft of boring bareness

I think they'd be ideal Jo. Anything tough and evergreen would do the job, but shrubs with berries would be best. Cotoneaster would be fine there. Keeping enough moisture there might be the biggest issue, but I had a sycamore round the corner and had plenty of stuff under it. The high rainfall helped, so you should be ok too! image

• I'd go with Hydrangea petiolaris - just make sure that it keeps within the boundaries of the wall so that it doesn't invade any guttering etc.  I've always found that small birds love hiding in it's branches and inspecting the flaky bark for insects.  I've also known robins to nest in an established one year after year. 

When it loses it's leaves in the winter, you get a wonderful tracery of reddish stems.

It won't need trellis but will attach itself to the wall but won't damage it.  Hopefully your neighbour will be ok with that.  image

If not, I'd go with pyracantha image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Never seen H. petiolaris climbing a tree ....... no idea if it would work image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Petiolaris will cling to a tree. Nice one at Beth Chatto's garden. Less nice one in my garden, it doesn't like the soil it's in

Cotoneasters are some of the easiest shrubs to pleaseimage

In the sticks near Peterborough

It's not a twiner in my experience Verdun. Maybe I've been luckyimage

Lovely picture of it in BC's 'Woodland Garden' book. In winterimage looks great

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Hello , at the side of next doors garage wall I have 2 honey suckles growing , infact they both now need a major prune 

also what about painting it ? one of my nieces once painted a garden mural on a wall , looked really nice and no pruning !

what ever you decided best of luck image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

The other shrub I had was a Spirea 'Snowmound'  Jo. It was perfectly happy there. About 6 to 8 feet from the trunk. image

A good whack of manure  to retain the moisture and shrubs will be fine. You have similar rainfall as I do. I had a whole border from my tree running back to the house, and a hornbeam hedge along the boundary. The tree was at the junction of the two next to the front gate. I loved my sycamore - the colour in autumn was glorious and it was a stunning shape. The birds had good cover and perching places too  image 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

good book that one Jo.image

I think my H. p is more likely to die than get that big Verdun. It isn't happy.