81 to 100 of 1,111 messages
KEF
07/02/2014 at 20:01

Loving your thread Marion  Hope you get good weather at the weekend.

My applemint is in the GH and is looking miserable, I might get a bit for next time we have new potatoes, I still have a few of last years Pentland Javelin in a sack in the garage and they are fine.  

07/02/2014 at 22:52

My applemint is outside in a big pot and still producing loads of growth.  It has been so mild that the cutting I took in the autumn for a friend is now a big plant.  I am so glad you are enjoying what my friend calls my "gardening journalism" KEF.  I do enjoy sharing my gardening escapades.

08/02/2014 at 12:02

My Golden Jubilee Year in my garden is going to be memorable at least for the stormy weather.  Once more it is raining and the winds are fierce so I have to stay indoors, but that means I spend more time in the conservatory where my newly sown peppers are up and my antirrhinums and second winter sowing of basil, the first having got damping off disease.  Some of my primulas and auriculas have their first flowers.  The large flowered auriculas are lovely and the primula called "Firecracker".  More daffs have opened their buds and my cymbidium orchids look promising.  They usually flower end of February which is when the weather forecasters think we may have some calmer weather.

08/02/2014 at 14:34

Here is my new auricula which shows great promise and the primula "Firecracker" which I

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37199.jpg?width=375&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37200.jpg?width=465&height=350&mode=max

choose to complement my daffs in the golden spring display in the front garden.

08/02/2014 at 16:06

They got pout in wrong way up.  The auricula is the second one of course.

08/02/2014 at 23:33

That keeps happening to my photos too, all in the wrong order. What gorgeous colours they are.

09/02/2014 at 09:22

The centre of the primula is even more golden today and the red edge does make it look fiery!

09/02/2014 at 14:46

At last the conservatory is looking like spring is here and the sun is shining in between the showers.  Every time i venture up the garden to gather an armful of blown down twigs and eucalyptus bark the heavens open, but i can dry off in the conservatory where the daffs are scenting the air and hyacinths soon will.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37272.jpg?width=319&height=350&mode=max

09/02/2014 at 14:50

How lovely to see some colour other than brown, I'm getting impatient for spring.

10/02/2014 at 12:09

Went out in the garden too early and got soaked and frozen in a sudden hailstorm, so came in to dry off and warm up and sowed nine lots of seed - four repeats of Mr.Fothergills saladings as i shall finish eating the Dec, sowings this week, four annuals, marigolds, "Sunspot gold" and "Apricot Daisy" and Ridolphia segetum and cosmos "Polidor mixed" and Cape Gooseberries"Golden Berry".  Weather has improved now so should be able to work outside after lunch.

10/02/2014 at 13:16

Keep warm when you go back outside! I adore your daffs. I had completely forgotten the mere possibility of having them inside - they're such wonderful cherry colours!

10/02/2014 at 21:10

Keep warm Marion 

11/02/2014 at 08:55

Back into two jumpers again.  it is bucketing down in Bristol and very dark so this is it for some hours no doubt!  Duck pond on the patio again.  I think I will be gardening off the paths for some time to come.  The raised beds will be easy to plant up and the edges of the borders but i would not risk destroying my good soil structure in the beds and borders by walking on them till we have had weeks of drying weather, so the bungalow windowsills are now going to be stripped of ornaments to make way for flower and vegetable plants as they get pricked out from their seed trays.  The cold frame is full up and the conservatory is getting there.  Two long cloches have been ordered to help warm up the soil and should be on their way..

12/02/2014 at 09:36

So excited. The next box from Mr. Fothergills for the Nation of Gardeners Trials is being despatched this week.  We evidently will need our greenhouses (in my case the conservatory) for this assignment but the rest is a secret till all have been delivered, not to spoil the surprise.  It is a bit like having a monthly birthday.

12/02/2014 at 10:43

Good job I looked at my sowings I did in my new propagator on the !0th Feb.  They are up, well five of them, on the 12th - my cosmos and all four saladings.  I will resow on the 10th of each month till I have finished the packets.  I do love salad leaves in my lunchtime sandwich. They set off cheese, eggs, meat, salmon, perfectly.  And I love the Spicy mixed salad leaves on a tomato or green salad with my supper.

12/02/2014 at 17:20

ages since I've had time to check this site - and had wondered what had happened to you happymarion!  perhaps my quick checks had just been on other topics.  Yes, I too love your pictures and enthusiasm - it's infectious - and hope you have a wonderful golden jubilee year.

I'm afraid I am a hit-and-miss gardener, and believe that where a plant has made an effort it should be rewarded, so do not always take out things when I should.  My venture up the garden to the compost bins amused me as individual crocus plants seem to have popped up all over the grass area near to the winter bed where the real clumps are flowering.  The bulbs are all well into their stride - daffodil buds, hyacinth flowers appearing, snowdrops, primroses and anemone blanda all doing their thing.....but oh dear, I dread to think what damage I am doing as I have no paths in my garden - only beds separated by grassy areas and so soggy!  No sign of flowers on my auriculas yet - they are growing in clay pots - and the birds have all but stripped all the flowers of the mahonias near the house, but then they were grown partly for the birds.

13/02/2014 at 09:47

Your crocus have found a good seedbed, Gardening granny, and are happy. My garden would fall into naturalistic category too.  Very cold up there this morning but had to check my trees after the horrific wind last night.  Picked up armfuls of debris but no significant damage.  I am not looking forward to the heavy rain promised by the weathermen for St. Valentine's day and Saturday.  There are puddles in my garden I have never seen before in fifty years here.  Water table is very high indeed.

13/02/2014 at 10:56

Sun is out this morning - primroses flowering, and the spring bulbs making progress every day.  My garden is filled with plants that selfseed in the wrong place and have to be moved, but the crocus, along with the violets which will appear soon, will just have to stay in the grass.  You've inspired me to fill a few seed pots, though I will have to book them into my friends seedling B & B whilst I am away for a month in March.  Trouble is, the pots are small enough to accomodate, its after they've been pricked out into individual pots that the space problem raises its head.  O only have an ancient small cold greenhouse, but I put portable cheap tower staging in to cope with as many trays as possible. 

Do hope you don't get too much rain - it's so soul destroying.

14/02/2014 at 08:51

St, Valentine's Day and pouring again in Bristol with risks of more floods.  Reminds me of my childhood in Alloa when my grandmother would tell me of 1906 when she put my father as a toddler into her upturned kitchen table to be "safe" from the flooded Forth while she got her older children safely up onto the churchyard behind the tenement.  That year the table floated out the door and my father was rescued as it hurtled towards the harbour by fishermen in their boat, alerted by her screams.  The River Forth would flood regularly while I was at primary school but only once do I remember it getting as far as the school playground.  

14/02/2014 at 14:14

The rain has not stopped all day so i could not go on safari up the garden to see how the St. Valentine flower (the crocus) was faring this year.  I thought of writing it a Valentine poem but veg. won out.  Here it is, my Valentine poem for my garden.

Tatty Love.

My heart goes a-flutter

As I dash for the butter

When I see new potatoes before me.

I moisten my lips.

Getting to grips

.With the sumptuous treat laid before me.

No love can compare

With such scrumptious fare

On any St. Valentine’s Day.

No kisses as sweet,

No cuddles can beat,

That taste that sends longing away.

New potatoes I love you;

A halo hangs over you;

Black pepper and butter help too.

I would brave battering storms

Forage in far flung farms,

For a St. Valentine’s meal with you.