London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
02/09/2014 at 12:29

Scaffolding up and i think it must be the prettiest scaffolding ever.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/58351.jpg?width=190&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/58352.jpg?width=237&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/58353.jpg?width=284&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/58354.jpg?width=406&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/58355.jpg?width=355&height=350&mode=max

02/09/2014 at 21:46

Marion congratulations on the Bronze well done  You feel proud, I know I would. Glad to see your scaffolding is up now, it probably won't take them long now , I bet you've been enjoying harvesting this week in the nice weather, been checking the two curly kales in my border and they look a lot stronger already, thanks Marion for your good advice again 

03/09/2014 at 08:18

You will soon be having kale every day for dinner, flumpy 1.  I may be offline from today as the computer man is coming to take away my laptop.  it has been switching itself off as the fan has died.  Roofers coming today and scaffolding goes Thursday or Friday.  Dull today but warm and dry.  We have our Bee weekend Saturday and Sunday at Bristol Univ. Botanic Garden so looking forward to that.

03/09/2014 at 19:41

Hello  back home from a week away, well, last satruday actually and with so much to catch-up on it's mid-week already.

Congratulations on your Bronze award   you have a lovely garden and it is still blooming beautifully. The scaffolding makes a good garden sculpture , pleased that the conservatory is being made safe.

The photo is of a Gladioli I saw in a front garden in passing whilst away. I did have permission to take it but by the time we had finished chatting I'd forgotten what it was named! Etheopian origin so wasn't enjoying been blown about.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/58580.jpg?width=253&height=350&mode=max

large pot, tall flowers, beautiful  

03/09/2014 at 19:55

Hi, flumpy1, sorry I realise you asked about the small blue flowers  but no time to reply till now.

It's a Campanula Bellflower, the rockery perennial. Just checked the Hessayon 'Flower Expert' book (where would I be without it) 

and it's C.poscharskyana, quick growing 10"height, spread 2ft.blue or white. Managed to take cuttings (fiddly stems) and planted in different places. Love the blue, still a few flowers. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/58582.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

Envious of your veg. worth all your care and attention. My purple sprouting has been eaten to bits, but, good news: the runner beans are just setting their pods  

03/09/2014 at 19:57

Hello  back home from a week away, well, last satruday actually and with so much to catch-up on it's mid-week already.

Congratulations on your Bronze award   you have a lovely garden and it is still blooming beautifully. The scaffolding makes a good garden sculpture , pleased that the conservatory is being made safe.

The photo is of a Gladioli I saw in a front garden in passing whilst away. I did have permission to take it but by the time we had finished chatting I'd forgotten what it was named! Etheopian origin so wasn't enjoying been blown about.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/58580.jpg?width=253&height=350&mode=max

large pot, tall flowers, beautiful  

03/09/2014 at 21:44

Well done Marion  

03/09/2014 at 21:48

Those gladioli used to be called acidanthera but now gladiolus murielae, Bizzie B.  I have three big pots just coming into flower now.  My laptop is being picked up for repairs tomorrow morning so may be offline for a bit.  The roof was mended today and it was a very good job .  The scaffolding should be dismantled tomorrow.   I am gradually getting my tender plants into the conservatory again.

04/09/2014 at 06:29

Than you Marion    it sounded like the I original name. Why do names keep getting changed and who decides?? Retorical question but one which intrigues me. 

Look forward to seeing your photos. The success with those blooms was because of the much hotter climate in sussex.

As we both have a glorious sunny forecast today I expect all will be blooming and we will be watering again this evening  

04/09/2014 at 08:32

The ability we now have to decipher the DNA of plants means some plants are being found to be wrongly classified so they are being regrouped and sometimes renamed.  Some plants that were in separate families have been found to be related to others and consequently some families are being dropped.  When you walk roung the Phyllogeny (which means family tree) garden in the University of Bristol Botanical Garden you see plants growing together which look quite different but belong to the same family - just like human cousins sometimes do.

07/09/2014 at 11:59

Marion. I too have been away for a few days-congratulations on your Bronze award. However, I think you deserve a Gold just on your enthusiasm alone!!Hope you get your laptop sorted soon as I am missing your posts.

10/09/2014 at 08:40

good morning, another sunny day, noticing the shade deepening which is useful as I'm divding plants and generally looking to move things around later in the month.

The reasons for renaming plants is fascinating, can understand so now relearning - bit at a time  

10/09/2014 at 09:05

I'll be in the garden today, my fences need painting so they're getting a darker colour to help next years flowers stand out more  

10/09/2014 at 19:58

Its a bit like the start of the gardening year for me-I am now itching to get moving stuff around and planting bulbs.........I can't wait, and I get excited when the bulb catalogues start arriving!!! How sad is that!! Another lovely day-its a shame that I had to go to work when I could be gardening

13/09/2014 at 05:42

morning everyone. 

Your fence will look good Fruitcake, a dark colour is very effective,  my neighbours have a good show of crocosmia against a black painted ranch style fence. 

Had my first bulb catalogue last week Linda  It is exciting, such glorious flowers to come! Thinking of planting more in pots this year as borders are well established and I can move them as necessary. Sharing an allotment has made me think of time available too. 

Talking of time seem to have spent a lot  on pruning theses last few weeks. Several trips to the  council recycling place (no bins for green waste here: plastic bags collected). A third trim for the wisteria and serious thoughts about pruning back the berberis shrubs which are encroaching onto the lawn. The trees will need thinning out too, the greengage has had such a good crop one branch has broken. Dug over a border, divided plants and put in pots ready for our local gardening club plant sale at the end of the month.

13/09/2014 at 11:19

Pruning is the biggie at the moment Bizzie-my my green bin gets emptied every other week, and its always full! We are lucky here-the council provides us with a big green waste bin....but there is never enough room in it, and I have a compost heap too that seems to get bigger and bigger!! I've got lots of trees and shrubs that need thinning out this year, including a Berberis that thinks it is a Triffid-hubby complained bitterly because he got stabbed by the prickly bits when he cut it down Jobs for the weekend include digging two big holes for my Magnolias that are in pots, and putting fresh compost on my big planters, and giving all the plants a bit of a feed. The lovely weather is great, but my water butts do need filling now-all my pots are very dry, and I have to water the garden every day.

13/09/2014 at 22:24

BizzieB my fence painting has turned into a bit of a nightmare- ronseal one coat clearly DOES NOT do what it says on the tin  So far, two fences have needed five coats! It's going to take a lot longer to do than I'd thought. But I've started, so I'll blimmin well finish lol.

I'm also in the process of putting up a second greenhouse in my garden, up against my shed. when we moved the potting bench away, we realised that the shed needed a lick of paint too, as well as the wall between the gardens, so I've been doing that too, so far only the two where the greenhouse is going, then the rest will have to be done. I'm hoping to get it all finished by the end of next week. There are a few fences that I can't get too because of plants in the way but there isn't a whole lot I can do about that! 

Times like this, this, I could do without having to work! 

14/09/2014 at 08:39
Fruitcake, are you trying to paint over that horrible red creosote, the people who used to own our house used the red stuff and it so hard to aint over, weve ended up getting new panels all round and used a nice dark creosote, i know what you mean by fitting it around work and weather :-\, i keep trying to win the lottery but no such luck
14/09/2014 at 09:19

Well done Marion.    The girl did well 

Beautiful pictures as always  Marion. 

14/09/2014 at 20:12

Flumpy the old stuff was red cedar paint. I've painted a couple of non painted panels today and it's gone like a dream, so clearly the red is a problem. Still doesn't make ronseals claim right though. It still doesn't do it in one coat. 

Still, the greenhouse is up now, the wall is painted fully and the front of the shed is done too 

I cant win the lottery either lol, and its not for the lack of trying!