Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

A case of the missing goldfish (and a heron)

DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

I entered my kitchen very early this morning to put the kettle on just in time to see a Heron make off with the last of my two goldfish from my little pond. I feel stupidly upset about this and wondered if there was anything I could do to deter these pesky birds if I replaced the fish. I have a resident hedgehog and frogs so I did not really want to cover the entire pond with netting. Any ideas anyone?  image

• DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

Thanks Verdun, I may consider this or I may just have it as a wildlife pond. I have a metal gate that I use when small children visit so this is a possibility. I do want my resident hedgehog to have access and the frogs too as they help with the slug problem. Perhaps I could lift the netting up a bit off the ground around the pond?

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

A plastic heron by the pool is said to work(they like fish on their own) .I have cats who like to fish by my pool so I placed sticks with sea shells on top around the pond making it difficult to fish .

• Daydaisy, I'd do as Verdun suggests and use netting with quite large holes in it, that way the frogs can get in and out, and the hedgehog won't fall in.  I fear if you lift up the mesh in just one area, your hedgehog and frogs won't find their way back to the 'open' bit, and become entangled in a net with a fine mesh.  Besides, I think lifting the net won't be as pleasing to the eye than if it's hidden just below the surface.  You could also try the plastic heron too, although I'm not sure where you'd get one from!

• DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

I think I'll go with the net idea. Thanks all for your ideas.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I visited a garden that had wires way above head height, tied between trees. The owners swore it kept the herons off but maybe there weren't any heronsimage 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

The plastic herons are quite easy to get, but they don't work!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,271

I would recommend wires on short poles.I put down netting and came down the next morning to feed the fish and found a drowned bird with its feet stuck in the net. Never again.

• wessonwesson Posts: 7

Sorry about the loss of your fish. I put canes around the pond and rested the black netting over them, it worked very well keeping the herons out, allowing hedgehogs and birds to escape, we're near the Broads, lots of herons...had some beautiful koi and orfe which sadly the visiting otter enjoyed last year...nets do not keep otters out. I made a small pond for amphibians and the larger one for fish...and otters.