London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
21 to 25 of 25 messages
16/07/2012 at 19:36

must admit my summer bedding plants are picking up now.. have had 4 days of nice weather.. not today thou gales and heavy rain today... the colour is getting there slowly all shade and damp loving plants are thriving, the woodland garden is the greenest at the moment and helebores and that are blooming again as are the cowslips and polyanthus! 

i also have been doing cuttings and anything that can be done in the potting shed when like this.. did some penstemons, lavender and planted seeds for next spring and some perennials.

16/07/2012 at 19:53

Same down here in Farnham, Surrey and would you believe, it's still raining?! Runner beans useless, courgettes and squash not much better. Root crops such as parsnips, beetroot, carrots, spring onions and radish seem to be liking the wet conditions for some reason best known to themselves. Cucumbers in the greenhouse are the real saving grace, masses and masses of them. Must be the high humidity. Toms, chillies, peppers and aubergines also in the greenhouse are fruiting but incredibly slow. Probably won't ripen. Must be the coldest, wettest and dullest summer I have ever known. Still, hope reigns (rains!) eternal.

17/07/2012 at 08:35

Same here down near Land's End - only the weeds are thriving  

17/07/2012 at 11:58

Looking on the bright side the broad beans are doing ok! But yes I agree the weeds are thriving - I've chopped lots of nettles and made nettle 'tea'.

17/07/2012 at 12:29

Just noticed that there are new shoots lower down on my poor ravaged dahlias- let's hope that they get a chance. J.

email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages