London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
10 messages
16/10/2013 at 20:05

We bought this Acer a few months ago,planted it in  Ericacious Compost in a pot.It was beautiful.Now it looks like its dying....leaves are turning brown & look dry,even though compost is damp and it has been watered regularly through the dry spells.

What have we done wrong ?? 

16/10/2013 at 20:22

Hiya Debbie.

Not the Acer expert here ...sure they will comment though.

Its just autumn.  The leaves will do that now.  In spring it will produce new fresh leaves

KEF
16/10/2013 at 21:31

I didn't think acers needed ericacious compost. John Innes No2 I would have thought & they don't like having wet feet especially when in pots. But I'm no expert.

17/10/2013 at 08:09

They need a sheltered spot - I wonder if the leaves are suffering wind burn. If the soil is damp and the leaves browning and look dry then it sounds like wind damage.

They need well draining soil. There are a large variety of Acers and all prefer but do not need acidic soil as KEF has said. If the pot is waterlogged then you tend to also get branch dieback, though wind damage can also induce that.

I would check drainage and make sure your Acer is in a sheltered spot. It should put out new leaves in early spring.

17/10/2013 at 17:01

Most of my acers in pots have started to drop leaves, one in fact is almost bare, i dont think there are any problems and the well established ones at my parents look much the same.

17/10/2013 at 19:26

I think there is a virus affecting acers this year.   One of mine has died as have two acers of various friends.  I bought another recently and this ia already developing white tinges to the end of the leaves and I think it is on the way out.   Can anyone actually explain what this virus is and is there a cure?

KEF
17/10/2013 at 19:39

Moved this back up for Sarahsgarden to find.

17/10/2013 at 19:53

We were told to put it in ericaceous compost at the garden centre,so am very confused now!! shall we put it in John Innes 2 now or wait until Spring ?

17/10/2013 at 20:09

Debbie, no do not pot up now as that can cause drainage issues by overpotting and the Acer dies. I would leave it until early spring then repot if needed. I would not change the soil needlessly either. They just prefer acidic soil rather than need it, so the GC was kind of right though they did sell you expensive ericaious when it did not really need it.

17/10/2013 at 20:13

I found the thread! according to Titchmarsh in this month's mag,  " the ideal soil is fertile slightly sandy loam containing plenty of leaf mould or other well rotted organic matter - any good garden soil as long as it's rich in humus" it goes on to say Japanese maples prefer lime free & slightly acidic... I've been growing them for some years from tiny trees to very large ones - I think the key is to protect them from the extremes, sun and wind being the worst. I think I'll wait until February to replant now.

email image
10 messages