Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

acer

Hi all.

I am planning to move my acer but are unsure if it will cause any damage in growth next year.

It is now 4 foot high and been in the ground for two and half years.

All the leaves have now dropped off so I am hopping it is in the dormant state.

anyone moved one?

• Thank you Brumbull.

Will be moving it tomorrow so fingers crossed it comes out easy.

I am going to dig a trench about a foot away from  the base of the tree and see where the roots go.

• It's good form to credit the author of the material by providing a link

http://www.japanesemaplesonline.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.showpage/pageID/11/index.htm 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

We have acers, but haven't moved any. All I can suggest is that you give it the same aspect that it has thrived in already.

The link gives excellent information. 

• Moved my acer this morning and it was more difficult than I thought.The root ball was massive and it was very heavy but it is now in its final position and now looking forward to the planting of my grasses which are going where my acer was.

• Thanks Verdun.

Can you tell me where is the best place to get some of the grasses you told me to get.

I do us parkers,T&M and some of the plants I have had off them are poor and I am after mature plants.