London (change)
Today 25°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
10 messages
01/05/2012 at 13:50

Just thought id mention how a little old man who lives near me has decided to take me under his wing and try and teach me the "good old ways"...beleive me I need as much help as I can get.  Unfortunatley my family have passed away as have my hubbies and we have no one to ask advice to, other than you lovely people that is.  He saw me trying to plant some rasberry canes and asked if he could help me by giving me some more from his own supply as he had been thinning them out, of course I thankfully said yes...I now have a nice amount of canes and also little bit more knowledge thanks to this man, people are so kind and its such a shame we dont have more oldies (excuse the term) to teach us thier fantastic knowledge. I hope one day I will build up enough to do that same for another budding gardener

01/05/2012 at 14:11

Fear not! I guess quite a few of us are 'oldies'. 

01/05/2012 at 14:36

Thats a nice story Yvonne. The older generations are rarely appreciated the way they should be. I wish I'd become interested in gardening at an earlier age (was about 35, I think).  That way I could have gained some knowledge from my Nan whilst She was still around.  That Lady could grow anything, anywhere.  She was well and truly green fingered.  Sorely missed Nanny H x

Yvie

01/05/2012 at 15:37

Yvie, I couldnt agree more, I was unfotrunate enought ot loose my grandparents very young and didnt develop a gardening interest unitl recent...such a shame really. My hubby often talks about watching his 'pops' diggin up the veggie patch and getting him to taste the rewards...I do so wish we saw more of this

01/05/2012 at 17:26

It's so true. OH's Dad died when OH only a young child, but it amazes me what advice OH, a non gardener (!), can dispense with the words 'Dad used to do...'. Rarely has the advice been 'duff', I would have love to have met him. J.

01/05/2012 at 22:48

I think it's really important to pass knowledge on to the next generation. I learned most of what I know about gardening and cooking from my mum who was excellent at both and completely self taught. I'm trying to do the same for my own daughter but I have to catch her in the right mood or I'm accused of lecturing - guess I'm not a 'natural' teacher, still, the knows the names of more plants than her dad - he can't tell the difference between a tulip and a chrysanthemum!

02/05/2012 at 08:11
Hear hear! I tap into my mum aunty and the much beloveds dad. I truly believe between the 3 of them there's nothing that can't be answered... But I suspect I've not asked any of the too tricky yet! Thew hee!
02/05/2012 at 08:16

Not all of us have access to gardening neighbours or family which is why I appreciate sites like this so much! Thanks to all you 'Virtual Oldies' out there!

02/05/2012 at 12:25

This 83 year old will try her best always to answer queries by novice gardeners.  I saw how valuable gardeners were in the war and think we could be just as valuable in this economic global war we find ourselves in and I do think we could make the whole country so beautiful with our temperate (yes, really) climate that we would rearn the title of ,ost beautiful country in the world.

02/05/2012 at 13:22

You're very much apperciated Marion as are all of the people on here who share their knowledge, young and old, it's good there's such a cross section of people who are willing to help each other out. I know that some of the questions I've had answered over the last week or so people just knew straight away what I was looking for and I'm guessing there where a few who where just as befuddled as I was!

email image
10 messages