Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Advice needed

shazza3shazza3 Posts: 106

hello. I am looking for some advice and opinions.

over the years that I've been gardening & growing houseplants, i've taken literally hundreds of cuttings & given them away to friends in work and people online as well.

now as we all know, this costs money in the form of having to buy compost/pots or using what you have already stored from previous buys.

my question is this -- can I advertise small pots of cuttings & charge a small fee to recoup my loss ???

I have quite a few cuttings of Hostas and Aloes that have been potted.

many thanks,

shazza

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

We either take just enough cuttings then compost the rest or make it a business, that is entirely up to you, I give mine away mainly to family.

Try putting them at the gate with an honesty box or a small notice saying cutting for sale and the price though there will be a law against it somewhere. The main law being using private premises for commercial gain. It is a mine field and you could end up with a lot of hassle from Neighbours the Council and local bylaws, is it worth it?

Frank.

• shazza3shazza3 Posts: 106

hello and thank for your advice.

as I don't have a big family & none of them are really interested in gardening anyway, though I could just charge a nominal fee say 50p or £1.00 per pot as they all have at least 2/3 cuttings in them just to cover the cost of the post really.

certainly don't want to make it a business !!!

it's just that I can't bear to compost perfectly healthy cuttings, it's like binning your babies !!!

I may put them on somewhere like Gumtree (local to my area) and see what happens. if I get no interest, will advertise for free instead.  

think I'm going to have to be a bit more ruthless in future when babies spring up alongside the parents.

thanks, anyway.

shazza

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

You can sell them at a car boot sale

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Try an advert in the local paper or gumtree. The downside is people calling at the house at odd times.

Or the local church  or school fetes always  like a plant stall.

If you have enough you could do a car boot sale.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Shazza, If you do a car boot sale remember you pay to go in, I suppose it shows the difference between older and younger growers, us old lads were told if you cannot eat it or sell it do not grow it. We would seed into orange boxes, the soil riddled steamed or baked to kill off any microbes mixed with washed sand then set in the heated greenhouse or on the freshly prepared hot bed, always too much so what was left went in the midden to give next years growth its goodness. You sacrificed your babies though we never thought of it in that way. I still dump the over sowing .

Frank.

• Chris 25Chris 25 Posts: 50

Yes you can if you look on ebay you will find hundred of people doing the exact same thing  cost must include postage  etc. Be aware the tax man the evil blighter will rip your shirt off if you make to much money.

Another way is to set up a plant table on your property you have the right to sell from there and any questions you are charging only for the materials used eg compost pots and your time and effort. Good luck image

• shazza3shazza3 Posts: 106

some great advice. going to try website first.

don't really want to make money just recoup the cost of the pots/compost. it all gets really expensive when you add it all up over the years.

my OH quite ruthless, says I should either bin the cuttings (he's a non-gardener) or charge for all the plants I pot up.

only going to charge a nominal fee otherwise I don't think i'll get many offers.

i'll let you know how I get on.

cheers, shazza

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Ere in Mundesly village in Norfolk loads of people sell at the gate ,we get wonderful jams ,cakes,and also plants are always on offer,my neighbor has his on a long flat cart he pulls out every day, its all part of a days fun and iv never herd of anybody complaining and i hope you dont get put off with legal jargon we somtimes get on here ,nobody cares go for it and good luck,God save the gardenerimage