London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 6°C
7 messages
27/08/2013 at 11:19

Hi All really new to this growing, Working in Sierra Leone Africa, and was hoping to grow from seads, some runner Beans, in wooden box's frow machinery parts deliverd to my place of work, starting them off indoors, and moving outside when they are ready, water provided from my Air Conditinor unit overflow directing distilled water into my box's of soil, and providing i keep them out of the direct rain does this sound ok,

has anyone have any other suggestions?

27/08/2013 at 11:35

You might have the wrong climate for runner beans, they don't like it too hot and will not fruit if it is too hot. For example they won't thrive in a greenhouse in the UK. Although they originate from a similar latitude to Sierra Leone (Central America) they come from the mountains where it is cooler. What are your daily high and low temperatures?

27/08/2013 at 11:41

Thanks for the reply Steephill, weather here today is 28c  85% humidity though feels a lot cooler, rainny season for another 2 months though i will be keeping them out  of too much rain

27/08/2013 at 13:41

If it was me, I'd give it a try, what have you got to loose? But instead of using distilled water, why not try and collect rainwater? Also, are there any insects around that could pollinate the flowers, such as bees, moths?

03/09/2013 at 09:28

Hi Sue sorry for the late reply, well i have planted the seads, and place in a shaded area though as to keep them out of the burning sun, i bring them in every night, keeping an eye on the moisture of the soil, all i can  do is look for the littel green shoots!!! like a child , i cant waite hahaah

thanks Sue

03/09/2013 at 10:04

Good luck Howard, let us know how you get on!

03/09/2013 at 10:44

Have a look at some of the recommendations for the hotter Southern US states - Aparagus beans also known as yardlong beans seem to do well with high heat and humidity. Lima beans (butter beans) might also work.

email image
7 messages