London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
11 messages
01/06/2014 at 18:50

Not had the nicest of days, but... The sweetpeas I thought I'd killed a couple of weeks ago have started to flower sunshine yellow! I'm so surprised as half of them have turned sickly brown and yellow in the leaves, but saw these little yellow buds after walking home from work and was so so happy! I was so close to just uprooting them and throwing them on the compost, to replace with a clematis as I discussed on my other thread! It's like they knew... we'd even stopped bothering to water them!

This time i've learned not to split my peas, even if I think they're getting a little cramped Hopefully I'll get a couple more buds over the next week or so, and I'll take off the dead bits in the afternoon tomorrow. I have a lovely short work day tomorrow and I think I may indulge myself in the garden, plant some bulbs, seeds, and try and remedy next doors intrusive weed issue.

Hope you've all had a nice day!

01/06/2014 at 18:54

Glad your day had a better ending SP3, plants are always springing surprises, just when you think they've given up for good you see signs of life, always magic

Lyn
01/06/2014 at 20:52

Sweet pea, where did you buy your sweet peas seeds, please?

01/06/2014 at 21:56
Lyn they weren't grown from seed, it was a small pot of seedlings for a ??1 from homebase but my Thompson and Morgan ones germinated. Was it the yellow colour you were looking for?
01/06/2014 at 21:56

SP93, someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I didnt think you could get yellow sweet peas. If you have then you will make a fortune.

01/06/2014 at 21:58
? Really? I'll get a photo in the morn, they aren't fully open, but are a definitely yellow colour thus far. I've not grown sweet peas before so I'm clueless!! How odd! I promise photos by lunchtime tomorrow. Delivery shift in the early hours... *grumbles*
01/06/2014 at 22:01
http://www.westcoastseeds.com/productdetail/Flower-Seeds/Sweet-Peas/Wild-Yellow/#sthash.VKTNw31O.dpbs

They look somewhat like this so far. So more a green yellow than a true yellow.
08/06/2014 at 13:16

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/48521.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

I honestly thought they were dying, I mean look at the bottom! but they are so so pretty! It seems sweet pea buds sort of bleed the colour slowly into them before blooming. Forever learning!

08/06/2014 at 13:37

White/cream sweet peas are often yellowy looking in bud as are many of the colours. Do you mean you bought seed of the wild one from Canada SP? I wouldn't have though Homebase would stock those 

These are some of my 'Cathy' ones form last year - you can see the greeny yellow buds

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/P8180832_zps22904966.jpg

08/06/2014 at 13:46

They aren't yellow now, they sort of started off the yellow colour, then the pink and purple colour spread into the petals, like a bruise?

08/06/2014 at 13:54

Ahh. Yes the buds tend to be that colour but that doesn't indicate the colour of the forthcoming  flower. Some of the dark ones just look green in the bud. Just the way they are. 

email image
11 messages